Halifax Student Account

Soldato
Has anyone got one?

I opened one last week after switching from HSBC but they still haven't put my overdraft to £1,750. It's sat at £1000!

I've got a 4 fig. bank balance so I see no reason why it can't be higher. I've complained and they've e-mailed headoffice so hopefully it'll get increased.

I don't like how you have to have £400 going into the account every 4 months otherwise you lose your overdraft :o

Your thoughts? Any better banks?

BeatMaster :D

Associate
HSBC and Natwest are the best for student accounts. You don't need to have a certain amount going into your account for the overdraft on a Natwest student account. Most of my mates at Uni are either with Natwest or HSBC

Soldato
Im with HSBC... first year uni student and have a 1k overdraft...

Been over it (only by £30 or something loads of times)... and never got penalised! Always paid it back on the actual day though.

Increases by 250 in september, can't fault HSBC though they've always been spot on with me and the staff have always been helpful when I've needed something doing :)

As to the guy who said HSBC/Natwest don't require anything going into the account every four month ... they require verification when you open the account that your Student loan will be going in to it ;)

Associate
I've got one with them, not had any problems so far (except when they upgraded my cash card account to a normal account instead of a student account....they cancelled relevant charges though).

I was told my overdraft was limited to £1000 as well, I just presumed it was because I hadn't actually paid any of my loan/wages into it though and haven't tried to extend it yet, but will probably need to over summer!

Soldato
It depends what year of study you're in with Halifax. The longer you're there, the more loot they give you.

Be careful though, I've only just finished paying back my overdraft(s). If you already have enough in there to last you then steer clear of borrowing more, even if it is interest free.

Back
Top Bottom