Hallelujah | F1 2022

I haz 4090!
Don
What’s the best headset to get in terms of image quality guys? I haven’t kept up with the tech for ages, I’m on a rift cv1 at the moment. Have they moved on a lot in terms of the tech?

Soldato
What’s the best headset to get in terms of image quality guys? I haven’t kept up with the tech for ages, I’m on a rift cv1 at the moment. Have they moved on a lot in terms of the tech?

Varjo Aero, but it's insanely expensive, has no audio, and needs Steam lighthouses and controllers.

Next best is the HP Reverb G2, which is a great sim headseat, but the controllers aren't as good as the Index or Quest 2. Great audio, similar to the Index.

Then comes the Quest 2, but it has a compressed USB or wireless video signal, which can show compression artefacts. Best video quality is with an add-on USB3 link cable. Very cheap though and the best all-rounder. Needs an add-on headstrap to be comfortable.

I wouldn't bother with an Index as it's expensive, and the resolution isn't the best (though it can look sharper than the Quest 2 due to the display port connection) Nice FOV though, and excellent audio.

Associate
OP
More info thanks to an interview with one of the production team, starts at 4:25

More headsets being added to the support list as QA test them. Only mentions Steam VR so not clear if they have also integrated the Oculus runtime, which typically gives better performance on those headsets.

Soldato
Bit of a problem with F1 22 on Steam - it's not working for anyone. So much for the Champions Edition coming with 3 days early access.

Mistakes were made - buyers not happy

52179299623_fbae11710b_z.jpg

Someone tweeted this :p

52179536529_0dc280e508_z.jpg

Soldato
Access finally came up at about 4pm, so only 9 hours late !

It's EA, what did you expect :p

Wow safety car to drive, is that in a race with other cars ? Lol

EA have added a new section in the game called 'F1 life' where you can customise your in game character and lobby room - all paid for content of course :cry: Supercars is a new addition and the Champions version includes access to the Aston Safety car, where you can drive it to complete challenges on the F1 tracks to level up and earn more Pit Coins.

Basically it's all there to extract more money out of users who love virtual wardrobes and showrooms :p

Soldato
ok so this must be me being thick. Just paid for the game and downloaded it.

Playing it for the 1st time in VR. It's sat at the main screen saying "press any button to continue".

Erm, what button? I've pressed all the buttons on the quest controllers, and hit loads of keys on the keyboard.

What buttons?

Associate
ok so this must be me being thick. Just paid for the game and downloaded it.

Playing it for the 1st time in VR. It's sat at the main screen saying "press any button to continue".

Erm, what button? I've pressed all the buttons on the quest controllers, and hit loads of keys on the keyboard.

What buttons?
You weirdly have to re click the mouse on the screen

Soldato
You weirdly have to re click the mouse on the screen

Yeah, what a faff. This is what I hate about PCVR gaming, it's all over the place. Great when it works, but my god it takes some tinkering.

F1 '22 is a total mess. It's nowhere near optimized for VR. Not even a 4090 would make this look good. My 3080Ti is absolutely struggling.

Oculus Settings 72hz 1.3x
ODT Sharpening on
Steam 100%

Game Settings
Everything on Low
DLSS on

It looks really soft/blury but just about hits a constant 72fps

Anything native in game is shimmering and the fps tanks. I wish I had my Pico really, as Quest2 is just crap on PC, but oh well.

Associate
Yeah, what a faff. This is what I hate about PCVR gaming, it's all over the place. Great when it works, but my god it takes some tinkering.

F1 '22 is a total mess. It's nowhere near optimized for VR. Not even a 4090 would make this look good. My 3080Ti is absolutely struggling.

Oculus Settings 72hz 1.3x
ODT Sharpening on
Steam 100%

Game Settings
Everything on Low
DLSS on

It looks really soft/blury but just about hits a constant 72fps

Anything native in game is shimmering and the fps tanks. I wish I had my Pico really, as Quest2 is just crap on PC, but oh well.
I've not tried vr yet, only downloaded the trial, but given the performance at 4k I'm not sure vr will be much better
I noticed when changing the graphic settings nothing seemed to change, fps always stayed at around 84, but also the longer I played the performance seemed to deteriorate dropping to about 70 fps
This why only lapping on time trial, so not sure what's happen there ‍

Soldato
I've not tried vr yet, only downloaded the trial, but given the performance at 4k I'm not sure vr will be much better
I noticed when changing the graphic settings nothing seemed to change, fps always stayed at around 84, but also the longer I played the performance seemed to deteriorate dropping to about 70 fps
This why only lapping on time trial, so not sure what's happen there ‍

I'm going to do some testing today. Seems to be a massive problem across the internet with this game.

I just can't carry on playing with DLSS, it looks like a PS2 game. Need to see if I can figure out how to bump up with fps without it. Think it's going to reqiure running the headset at a much lower resolution.......lol, and here's me wanting to buy a pimax crystal or next gen headset hahaha, maybe when the RTX7090 arrives.

Associate
I'm going to do some testing today. Seems to be a massive problem across the internet with this game.

I just can't carry on playing with DLSS, it looks like a PS2 game. Need to see if I can figure out how to bump up with fps without it. Think it's going to reqiure running the headset at a much lower resolution.......lol, and here's me wanting to buy a pimax crystal or next gen headset hahaha, maybe when the RTX7090 arrives.
Yes buddy, all these headsets are someway above what current gen gpus are able to handle.

Associate
I think VR implementation on a racing game doesnt get much better than AMS2. F1 22 is terrible in comparisson, ive also noticed graphics settings not doing a whole lot. I was tinkering with graphics options on flatscreen and raised everything to max, game became blurry. Tried to set it back to how it was, the game was still blurry, without DLSS or upscaling. EA Games nowadays are just alphas at release it seems.

Associate
OP
If you haven't seen it already and you are able to plug your pedals into your wheel base and disconnect all other peripherals from your PC. Seen several reports, especially with those running Fanatec gear, that this can dramatically improve performance.

Edit: More good info here, seems turning ambient occlusion off may help too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom