Hamilton may take a knee at US GP

Soldato
Soldato
It is his choice. If he did so then it would give the moment a huge amount of increased visibility and coverage. I've criticised some of the things he's done in the past, like hugging drugged tigers etc, but I wouldn't criticise him at all if he did this, quite the opposite.

Soldato
On the one hand - stand up for what you believe in and show solidarity with an important cause.

On the other hand, it’s not his National Anthem so maybe just stay out of it…

Man of Honour
Good on him, nothing will happen other than a funny trump Twit storm. Why shouldn't people support others around the world.

Soldato
To be honest, the whole thing may have blown over by Austin. What is it, three weeks away? That’s a long time in politics / Twitter rows.

Soldato
Do you know what this is actually about?
Yes of course; I’m just saying that things move quickly in this day and age of 24-hour rolling news and social media.

In three weeks time, the argument may well have moved on, making ‘taking the knee’ redundant.

Soldato
OP
Yes of course; I’m just saying that things move quickly in this day and age of 24-hour rolling news and social media.

In three weeks time, the argument may well have moved on, making ‘taking the knee’ redundant.

Maybe the coverage has been huge since Trump's Alabama speech 10 days ago; however Kapernick started taking a knee over a year ago and this has gradually gained momentum with other NFL players since, albeit not as much as last weekend.

So it won't go away but it may not get the daily coverage it is getting in US news lately. Only way for it to go away is for police in the US to stop killing young innocent black men

Last edited:
Soldato
F1 as a whole refused to take a stand in Bahrain (when much of the world were pouring scorn on them for even attending) as they didn't want to make a political statement, and I'm sure when Austin comes about the same will apply. That doesn't mean that individuals shouldn't and I hope some do, but Hamilton needs to remember he doesn't have the same rights that an American does and there are conditions of a visa.

This is Donald Trump we're talking about - he would probably quite like a high-profile example to be made of.

Soldato
Maybe the coverage has been huge since Trump's Alabama speech 10 days ago; however Kapernick started taking a knee over a year ago and this has gradually gained momentum with other NFL players since, albeit not as much as last weekend. So it won't go away but it may not get the daily coverage it is getting in US news lately

Exactly — no one was asking Hamilton if he was going to take a knee at Austin last year.

Who’s to say that something won’t happen in the next three weeks to make the gesture potentially less ‘dramatic’ for want of a better word.

I’m not suggesting the BLM situation is going to resolve itself in the next three weeks; I’m mearly pointing out that no one knows how this story is going to develop.

We may find that in three weeks time, it would be entirely inappropriate or even moot for Hamilton to make such a gesture.

Caporegime
Trump should block his Visa, there's nothing wrong with taking a knee to make a statement but to do it during the US anthem simply to cause outrage and draw attention that way is wrong. If it wasn't for what the US anthem respresents they wouldn't have the freedom to do it in the place, in places like Saudi Arabia you'd probably get stoned to death.

Soldato
Good for Hamilton. It's been at least a week since he was in the headlines for, I dunno, getting a weird haircut or something. His public image and media career needs this boost.

Soldato
If it wasn't for what the US anthem respresents they wouldn't have the freedom to do it in the place, in places like Saudi Arabia you'd probably get stoned to death.
So those taking a knee shouldn't express their right to free speech and actions during America's symbol of the right to free speech and actions...?

Not saying I agree with him, but the 'don't do it during the anthem because it's sacred' argument is rather hypocritical.

Back
Top Bottom