1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamstring issues

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by mpledge52, Jan 15, 2019.

1. mpledge52

Wise Guy

I'm a fairly active guy, I do a reasonable amount of cycling, play sports and go to the gym. However, any leg work I do at the gym is becoming more and more troublesome. It started off a couple of years ago when I did some heavy squats and felt a light twinge in my hamstrings, and the next day it turned into excruciating cramping which lasted almost a week. Now I get those similar twinges more and more frequently, but I stop as soon as I feel it so it rarely develops into full blown cramping. Sometimes a simple warm up set of body weight squats or empty bar deadlifts would set me off.

It's not a painful, it only becomes painful if it cramps up in the following days. It's almost as if DOMS sets in immediately rather than a couple of days later.

I tried doing extended warm ups/downs, more stretching and foam rollers more but nothing seemed to help. I gave up on any kind of leg work for a few months to see if rest helped, but that was no good either.

One problem I have with stretching is that I struggle to hit the target the problem area. It's high up my hamstrings, right under the bottom of my bum cheek, and feels quite deep. Any hamstring stretches I do I feel further down near my knee.

Any tips/tricks/ideas that might help?

2. planty

Wise Guy

This may seem slightly unhelpful but realistically the best thing you can do is visit a physio.

3. Marvt74

Capodecina

If it's that high up could it be more glute related?

4. Delvis

Caporegime

This possibly.

But the hams do go far up