***Han Solo movie***

Associate
Question:

Kermode mentioned about Darth Maul not being stopped by him being chopped in half, this got me thinking...

Where about it Solo in the grand scheme of the other films? I'd assumed it was before the prequels but perhaps not?

It say Solo is about 10 years before A New Hope and maybe 7/8 after the last prequel?

Caporegime
I dunno why some people made such a fuss about it mind - I wouldn't have thought it was real but I probably wouldn't have even noticed enough to care if it hadn't been talked about being CGI so much - as it was it was it didn't detract from the movie for me though more widespread use of it probably would have.

I found it jarring, like other obviously bad effects. It didn't spoil the movie, but I'd have rather had a replacement actor.

Soldato
Or even use clever filming for his scenes like using a Hologram, which doesn't have to be 100% accurate with interference etc or just have him standing at the bridge looking out into space and it's his reflection you see in the glass while he talks, again doesn't have to attempt to be perfect.

Soldato
Just come back from seeing this, was enjoyable but not the best. The droid was really annoying :o

Most annoying thing is how dark the picture was, felt like the entire thing had been filmed in dim light. Spoke to the cinema about it and they said it was filmed that way and looking online that appears to the case.

Wasn't a brilliant theatre (usually go to imax) so the screen probably made it worse, kinda spoiled it tbh.

Soldato
Most annoying thing is how dark the picture was, felt like the entire thing had been filmed in dim light. Spoke to the cinema about it and they said it was filmed that way and looking online that appears to the case.

Wasn't a brilliant theatre (usually go to imax) so the screen probably made it worse, kinda spoiled it tbh.

There has been issues at various cinemas where their equipment is basically out of spec which made the film look horridly dark. It was meant to be dark, but its not that dark and you can see what is actually going on so its likely a lot of it was down to a poor screening if you found it was really dark.

Soldato
There has been issues at various cinemas where their equipment is basically out of spec which made the film look horridly dark. It was meant to be dark, but its not that dark and you can see what is actually going on so its likely a lot of it was down to a poor screening if you found it was really dark.

Yeah it had been moved to one of the smaller screens so picture wasn't great.

That said making a film that requires a certain spec to be seen properly is just asking for trouble :p

I'll watch it again when it comes out on bluray.

Soldato
I'm super late to the party with Solo and went in with zero expectations (The Last Jedi sucking as hard as it did) and thoroughly enjoyed it! More than Rogue One, which was great. In fact, other than a few minor niggles, I'm struggling to fault it. I get the robot complaints btw, but they weren't jarring for me in the way Jar Jar was, for example, and fell just on the OK side of cheesy while still being Star Wars. Only just tho! Most importantly it has the sense of adventure and tension with good characters and bad guys we had with the original movies that was missing from The Force Awakens and Last Jedi. There's some plot twists i'd have rather weren't there or went in different directions, but that's subjective and all in all Solo is a great SW movie.

Soldato
^^ Absolutely agree... it's been a good few weeks now since I saw it and have watched many critiques and reviews (many negative) but they've not really changed my opinion... it was a fun movie... not absolutely perfect but far from a disaster, and just more Star Wars (which over-saturated or not I love the franchise and will happily consume whatever they put out)

Soldato
I watched this last night and enjoyed it. After the slating the Han actor got I was surprised how good he was. He wasn't Harrison Ford's Solo for sure but he gave the character some charm and acted pretty well.

I thought the film played quite nicely there are a few of the usual criticisms like the ridiculously stoic self sacrifice here and there. I thought the whole Han + Lando thing was pretty good. Han's back story isn't bad, I would like to have seen a few more "clips" of that 3 year journey to being a soldier of the Empire. You know excelling at flight school, struggling with discipline, being kicked out of the academy even only 20 second clips of each to show some character growth or highlight character flaws.

I thought the other "bad guy" played by the red headed girl was just a bit too "on message" I kind of get how it shows us Han is a good guy underneath but it wasn't done well enough for me.

L3 was a bit meh, K2-SO made more sense. I like the Han meeting Chewi bit probably one of the better nods to Star Wars lore. Kira well, I can't decide if it was done well or badly and I didn't really know what Crimson Dawn was at the end, is it s mob, Yakuza, cult, religion, rebellion?

Overall kind of 6/10 as good as Black Panther or Wonder Woman.

Oh and Disney have doubled down on HYPERFUEL being a thing big time. I mean we go 7 movies endless TV cartoons with fuel never being an issue and now we have Fast and Furious nitro and fuel being a big deal. Dumb idiots it was forced plot device in TLJ and it's now a major important canon plot device.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Watched this last night, better than I thought but still woolly in places.

It did seem like they tried to tick as many boxes from what we know of Han's life as possible, which were too many in such a short space of time.

I'm not sure if the droid annoyed me more, or the desperation in proving han was never wrong with the 12 parsec kessel run quote. It was a mistake, it was fine. You can debate it was distance, but don't bake it in as canon to a movie. I actually think that despoiled the charm of the original slightly.

As for the end with
Darth Maul - how is this possible? He was killed when Darth Vader was just a boy. If this movie was set a decade before ANH, then Luke woulda been a little runt meaning Ep 3 should have already happened.

Soldato
Watched this last night, better than I thought but still woolly in places.

It did seem like they tried to tick as many boxes from what we know of Han's life as possible, which were too many in such a short space of time.

I'm not sure if the droid annoyed me more, or the desperation in proving han was never wrong with the 12 parsec kessel run quote. It was a mistake, it was fine. You can debate it was distance, but don't bake it in as canon to a movie. I actually think that despoiled the charm of the original slightly.

As for the end with
Darth Maul - how is this possible? He was killed when Darth Vader was just a boy. If this movie was set a decade before ANH, then Luke woulda been a little runt meaning Ep 3 should have already happened.
Have you never seen clone wars or Rebels? That fills you in on the end.

Man of Honour
Yeah the whole Kessel run could have been handled a lot better - I kind of feel that the director didn't have a completely free hand around that and was expected to put certain things into it especially when it came to the droid.

Overall though not a bad movie - I can see why they choose the actor to play Han though he didn't capture the full spectrum of the character at times he did very well.

Back
Top Bottom