***Han Solo movie***

Soldato
I have a different interpretation of L3. I agree it is Kathleen Kennedy embodied, but I thought they took it to such extremes as to utterly take the **** out of that class of person.
In the end, she gets her head ripped off, and becomes subservient to a machine, in which she now lives for eternity. Her personality and hopes and dreams destroyed and gone.
Or maybe i am reading too much into such things.

I also thought this. I also wondered if this is the reason the original directors got fired, when Kennedy finally figured it out but couldn't remove L3 because, by that point, it was integral to the film.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
So Darth Maul survived being cut in half, got a mechanical arse, and now just calls himself Maul?
I don't really understand the point of that, but it doesn't overall matter.
Because Disney shoe-horned him into their animated series, but had to downgrade his position to explain why he wasn't around in ANH. It's the only logical thing I can think of.

TBH, they really didn't need to put him in this and the more I try to rationalise his appearance, the more it annoys me. It's either a promo to get people interested in their cartoon, or a set-up for a future movie (or both). Either way, a cynical cash-in at the expense of their audience because Qu'ra speaking to him at the end served zero purpose for the movie. It would've been better if she's contacted Jabba the Hut. That would at least make Han's reason for going to Tatooine more emotive.

Soldato
@D3K I don’t disagree maybe Jabba would have been a better choice and Maul is definitely fan service.
Maul is killed prior to the end of Rebels which finishes a decent amount of time before Rogue One or A New Hope

Man of Honour
I have a different interpretation of L3. I agree it is Kathleen Kennedy embodied, but I thought they took it to such extremes as to utterly take the **** out of that class of person.
In the end, she gets her head ripped off, and becomes subservient to a machine, in which she now lives for eternity. Her personality and hopes and dreams destroyed and gone.
Or maybe i am reading too much into such things.

You might be onto something - I'm not sure - you look at the way the relationship and characters of Han and Chewie were worked in - relative to L3 it's surprisingly not forced - progression is quite organic and shows some subtlety and the hand of an experienced director - which is missing with L3 which feels like it was slapped in by someone with far less experience or shrewdness... but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the work of a more experienced director if it was intended as a **** you.

However look at the way L3 was despatched and you see the same finer touches and more interwoven meaning - it could very well be a subtle snub atleast in the manner of its demise.

While there was some areas of the movie that needed a bit more work and some things they needed to improve on I think they are seriously messing up if they don't turn the franchise over to Ron Howard (assuming he was willing) for future movies as he seems to get the audience - even if some stuff like that about Darth Maul above needs to be handled better.

Soldato
Just watched this with my lad. Had very low expectations after reading some of the comments on here.

Really enjoyed it. In fact, I actually thought it was one of the better star wars movies made. Certainly better than the 'proper' films of the last few years.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Just watched this with my lad. Had very low expectations after reading some of the comments on here.

Really enjoyed it. In fact, I actually thought it was one of the better star wars movies made. Certainly better than the 'proper' films of the last few years.

I think the closeness to the originals really works in favour of these movies. The environments and the cinematography feel truer. Also, the lack of good vs evil preaching gives them a bit more flexibility in narrative.

Associate
Sorry all but I found it to be such a run-of-the-mill, churned out story with no real surprises and quite predictable. Agreement on the android annoyance. If you're a huge fan it's probably what you'll enjoy. Maybe I'm getting cynical and now look for a deeper story line and better script. Won't be buying the DVD!

Associate
Sorry all but I found it to be such a run-of-the-mill, churned out story with no real surprises and quite predictable. Agreement on the android annoyance. If you're a huge fan it's probably what you'll enjoy. Maybe I'm getting cynical and now look for a deeper story line and better script. Won't be buying the DVD!
It just wasn't Han Solo - take away the name and you're left with a generic heist film set in space.
No Jabba....no Greedo....meh.

And Han Solo sounded so much like Ray Liotta's character from Goodfellas I half expected De Niro and Pesci to make cameos.

Soldato
No Jabba....no Greedo....meh.

This just proves how they can never please everyone... I liked that they didn't go any heavier than they did on the fan-service, they had plenty of stuff to tie into the OT. I guess they could have had him visit a young Jabba and spots Jabba's collection of carbonite ornaments on his coffee table, and then on his way out he bumps into young BobaFett and goes "watch it, pal"... has a bar fight with young Greedo but gets hit in the head and his vision goes all blurry then he nearly falls into a nearby sarlaac pit but Lando swoops in and grabs him by the legs to save him...

Edit: And then he has to deliver some cargo to a guy and it turns out to be a baby Rancor and it's the Rancor keeper from ROTJ

Soldato
Who would greedo be in the film, that makes no sense and would be literal fan service. It was a 1 dimensional character that was in the film for a single purpose, to be killed.

Han was a nobody for most of the film, why would he be in contact with bounty hunters or the Hut?

the ‘gang’ storyline made much more sense

The end of the film was just a set up for a new films or TV just before a new hope using all new characters. They might not ever use it buts it’s there if it’s needed.

Man of Honour
Still plenty of potential for them to link a lot of that stuff in, in a subsequent movie, if they ever made one - personally I hope they do and improve on some of the things that didn't work so well and learn from what did work well. What we see really is a very early Han and it doesn't necessarily follow that at the end of the movie he even goes directly to Tatooine.

Don
Just watched this and thought it was excellent. Just enough nostalgia/"fan service" but in no way overdone.

Despite reservations about seeing anyone other than Harrison Ford being solo, Alden was great and fitted well in the role.

Associate
This just proves how they can never please everyone... I liked that they didn't go any heavier than they did on the fan-service, they had plenty of stuff to tie into the OT. I guess they could have had him visit a young Jabba and spots Jabba's collection of carbonite ornaments on his coffee table, and then on his way out he bumps into young BobaFett and goes "watch it, pal"... has a bar fight with young Greedo but gets hit in the head and his vision goes all blurry then he nearly falls into a nearby sarlaac pit but Lando swoops in and grabs him by the legs to save him...

Edit: And then he has to deliver some cargo to a guy and it turns out to be a baby Rancor and it's the Rancor keeper from ROTJ
But the filmmakers went to extraordinary lengths to justify the misuse of the term "parsec". ;)

Caporegime
just finished 2nd viewing (bluray this time)

really like it - Alden and Glover both do a great job
woody h does a good mentor as well

wish this had not been slapped by the TLJ backlash as it didn't deserve it

That's why backlashes are stupid...

I saw it at the cinema and thought it was pretty good. Highly doubt it will get a sequel now though.

Soldato
But the filmmakers went to extraordinary lengths to justify the misuse of the term "parsec". ;)

I dunno, I thought it was kinda cool (despite not strictly needing an explanation) - even though the original line was just a mistake you'd have thought in an established space-faring society one of the other characters would have certainly called it out... it'd be like someone saying to you "yeah my car is pretty awesome, it can get me from London to Bristol in 100 miles"... which implies that "The Kessel Run" and/or the tale from Solo is *so* infamous that people wouldn't have a second thought about questioning it, in spite of how ludicrous it sounds

Soldato
Watched this last night - 6/10 at best.

Lots of "retcon" going in in respect of tech, characters and other elements not seen before.

Didn't really feel like a Star Wars movie, more a spin off from Blade Runner.

Actor playing Han Solo seemed more like a young Dennis Quaid than Harrison Ford.

Loads of plot holes never really explained like how Kira
went from being sewer rat to double agent for Crimson Dawn and the Sith

Three most interesting characters
4 armed pilot, Thandie Newton and new robot
all got summarily killed off.

We had already been pre-warned via AV forums about the poor picture and sound quality on the 4K disc so gave it a miss and bought the Blu-ray. Even allowing for the grungy settings, PQ not all that good and the so called DTS soundtrack was largely just in the front speakers and very muffled. Disney have come in for criticism about sound on their comic book movies and it seems this has spread to the ex Lucas stuff.

Back
Top Bottom