Handing in my notice - am I being cheeky?

Soldato
I'm going to hand in my notice next week on 2nd October. I have a 3 month notice period. This means my last day will be around 2nd January.

As holidays are refreshed every calendar year, is it too cheeky to actually hand in my notice 23rd October, making my last day 23rd Jan, but use my holidays for the last three weeks I'm supposed to be in?

Man of Honour
depends - what's your company's policy on unused holiday being carried over?
They'll no doubt treat your holidays as "being accrued over the year" so if you try to quit in january you'll have like 2 or 3 days holiday max? Plus whatever you're able to carry over from this year... which I would imagine is no more than 5 days?

Caporegime
What jono said. Holiday almost certainly accrues day by day. I've just resigned and my last day is 29 December. Our holiday runs April to March so I have to work out how much holiday I'm entitled to between last April and the end of December, then knock off what I've taken this far, then take the balance before I finish, so the last day I'll actually be in is the 23 December.

Associate
Well you can do what you like but neither option is cheeky imho
Our place only accrues holiday per completed month so in that instance if I left on Jan 23rd, I'd not accrue any hols during 2018
Could you really carry over 16 days holiday from 2017 to cover the working days in Jan 18?

Soldato
I'm going to hand in my notice next week on 2nd October. I have a 3 month notice period. This means my last day will be around 2nd January.

As holidays are refreshed every calendar year, is it too cheeky to actually hand in my notice 23rd October, making my last day 23rd Jan, but use my holidays for the last three weeks I'm supposed to be in?

Will you have accrued that much holiday by then? If yes, using holidays in lieu of notice is perfectly fine.

Soldato

You can hand your notice in when you like. Always coordinate it so it falls at the end of the annual/monthly holiday/pay period as this limits the opportunity for final pay and holiday accruals to be messed up or rounded down depending on whether the calculation is on calendar days or months.

In your position I would hold off until your suggested time.

Soldato
Sounds like the OP is not carrying over any holiday into 2018 but assuming he gets it ready to use as soon as Jan 1st hits; which is undoubtable not the case. Most places will have you accrue your holiday during the year to stop exactly this sort of thing. Check your contract.

Soldato
Sounds like the OP is not carrying over any holiday into 2018 but assuming he gets it ready to use as soon as Jan 1st hits; which is undoubtable not the case. Most places will have you accrue your holiday during the year to stop exactly this sort of thing. Check your contract.

I had assumed he meant he had three weeks outstanding / carried over etc as what you noted is too obvious. But if the OP did just want to magic up 3 week's holiday which won't have been accrued then er.......

Soldato
I agree - 3 months notice is a joke, that's being cheeky!!

I'd be stunned if they held you to 3 months notice unless your in an extremely high powered job.

Caporegime

well it is pointless and can backfire, since you won't have accrued any holiday that calendar year you'd not be paid for it if they were to allow you the 'holiday'

if they wanted to, because they have the 3 months notice, they might cancel your holiday and then you'll be stuck working for some of that time period

essentially if you want that time off guaranteed then just hand your notice in now and delay your start date - you're not going to be paid for that time regardless so at least you've got complete assurance of having it off if you've simply finished working.

Caporegime

it would be perfectly possible to take 2-3 weeks off right at the start of the holiday year in most places, the issue is just re: pay when you do come to quick - if you quit part way through the year then you'll be deducted pay relating to anything that went over what you were entitled to on a pro rata basis. I've never worked anywhere where you have to accrue anything in advance of actually taking it... if you get 25 holidays a year you can take them at any time during the year.

In the OP's example, where I've generally worked, he'd simply not be paid anything for that period of time off at the bringing of the year (and/or could face having it cancelled if his manager needed him)

Soldato
it would be perfectly possible to take 2-3 weeks off right at the start of the holiday year in most places, the issue is just re: pay when you do come to quick - if you quit part way through the year then you'll be deducted pay relating to anything that went over what you were entitled to on a pro rata basis. I've never worked anywhere where you have to accrue anything in advance of actually taking it... if you get 25 holidays a year you can take them at any time during the year
Well I don't know the ins and outs of people's contracts but you're correct that if you're a permanent employee and want to take a week off at the beginning of the year, it's doubtful your employer will stop you because of that. However if you read the small print I'm sure it will be somewhere to stop exactly what the OP is suggesting. Otherwise people would always quit at the end of the year and get an extra months pay practically.

Caporegime
Well I don't know the ins and outs of people's contracts but you're correct that if you're a permanent employee and want to take a week off at the beginning of the year, it's doubtful your employer will stop you because of that. However if you read the small print I'm sure it will be somewhere to stop exactly what the OP is suggesting. Otherwise people would always quit at the end of the year and get an extra months pay practically.

well no because they'll just make the relevant pro-rata deductions... you don't need to have some convoluted system whereby you can only take holidays after you've earned sufficient days etc.. (ergo skewing holidays taken towards later in the year and essentially barring holidays in January, February) you can simply make the correct deduction from the final salary payment

Soldato
well no because they'll just make the relevant pro-rata deductions... you don't need to have some convoluted system whereby you can only take holidays after you've earned sufficient days etc.. (ergo skewing holidays taken towards later in the year and essentially barring holidays in January, February) you can simply make the correct deduction from the final salary payment
Well yes. The other way of doing it is for them to work out pro-rata backwards and deduct that. But the end result is the same; he won't get 25 days paid leave at the start of teh year if he's handed in his notice. That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Back
Top Bottom