Hanns-G HG281DP 28" Widescreen Any good, really??

Associate
Currently got an NEC GX20 wide screen monitor, but looking for a larger monitor...

The quality of the NEC is very good, crisp clean text, and great graphics... I dont play a lot of games, but do enjoy them occasionally and have an 8800gts 512mb card...

Is this 28" monitor really any good, or is it just the fact that it is so cheap and consequently overshadows any performance or quality issues..

Now I know you get what you pay for.. so should I go for a good 24"..

ive read a few reviews, which seem good on the whole, but tend to focus around the fact it is so cheap....

Would like any owners opinions...

Associate
+1 to this post as im looking to get one for my birthday next week :D

ive been told to pretty much ignore any contrast ration blabber since its an none-standardized number, so the 800:1 this provides doesnt bother me at all, it seems to have a good responce time nothing else seems to be a bother, just worried at the price..

the cheapest 24" with hdmi is £25 more than this 28"

EDIT

i buckled and ordered it, ill let you know on money when it arrives :D

but from the specs provided it should be stonking great :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
will be waiting with great anticipation to read your views...

I think the only negative things ive read concern the brightness, and black reproduciton.. so would be interesting to see what you think.. particulary whilst playing nay games and using the desktop in general, i.e,. text quality etc...

Associate
OP
Thanks for the pic...

Can you comment on colours, brightness, contrast etc.. partidularly in gaming.. also is text crisp and clear in widows, internet etc...

Ive read a few reviews which comment on its contrast in colours on games, and how they seem to blend together and appear dark...

It does seem like a realy bargain.. would be keen to see how you feel after a few days of useage...

Cheers

Associate
Just tried assassins creed, wow and then some MGS4. Everything looks damn good. Very surprised to hear audio through HDMI on the monitor from the PS3 though.

I cannot see any ghosting, viewing angles are fairly good, but sitting about 1.5m away 1080p looks stunning

Soldato
DrMekon, i think you'll be disappointed with this if you went from it, considering you're so used to the NEC. The panel in the NEC is considered to be the very best of all the 20" panels and to step down to a panel of lower quality (looks to be a TN panel) will be very noticeable for you. I have a dual screen setup with my Dell 2007WFP (very similar panel to the NEC) and a TN panel 17". The difference is night and day.

I would say go for a better quality 24" screen. That's the problem with buying the best quality first time round, when you want to upgrade you have to get the same quality again.

Associate
OP
I did think that..

Im pndering whether to go for a 32" 1080p lcd tv instead for around £500.. I dont mind a small drop in quality as a trade off for a larger size...

I cant really justify only a 4" increase to a 24" for around £250.. its not really worth it

Permabanned
I got this monitor for some time now. Blacks are poor and dont expect best pic but overall i say its a great monitor for its current price. I paid 430 some months ago:(

Soldato
its looks very nice. I am atm on a 22" samsung and thinking of something that will be good for 1080p films and games. Games I can handle some colour tradeoff, so long as dark greys arent all black...

*edit - I am also interested in viewing angles seeing as films will be the main thing where theres more then 1 person

Last edited:
Associate
received mine this morning, plugged it in and it came up straight away into 1920x1200, no dead pixels or marks on it, very happy so far just need to turn the brightness down and get it how i want it.stand is pretty good with up, down and sideways movements

Associate
received mine this morning, plugged it in and it came up straight away into 1920x1200, no dead pixels or marks on it, very happy so far just need to turn the brightness down and get it how i want it.stand is pretty good with up, down and sideways movements

Whats the viewing angles like?

Associate
I got mine yesterday and am well happy with it. I just can't get it to work throught the hdmi connection with my 8600gt dvi-hdmi port. But even on the standard vga connector it looks pretty damn fine.
Viewing angles are good. Better left/right viewing angles than up/down though but unless you have your monitor above you it shouldn't be a problem

Associate
I got mine yesterday and am well happy with it. I just can't get it to work throught the hdmi connection with my 8600gt dvi-hdmi port. But even on the standard vga connector it looks pretty damn fine.
Viewing angles are good. Better left/right viewing angles than up/down though but unless you have your monitor above you it shouldn't be a problem

sounds like a bad problem, all i had to do on my 8800 was connect it up and it came up straight away, even changed to the right res. im using the latest nvidia drivers

Associate
So you would highly recommend this Monitor? about to plonk some money down for a new one but not 100% what to go for :) its all part of a nice new Rig!

Back
Top Bottom