1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive advice?

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by Jamwelshtralian, 5 Jul 2021.

1. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

2. varkanoid

Capodecina

Western Digital 4tb

3. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

any particular one?
    (i havent looke don the motherboard and not at home at the moment but assume that it has a sata connection - its been so long since i added a hdd to a pc!!!)

4. varkanoid

Capodecina

5. GreyHam

Gangster

Another vite for Western digital. Never had a problem with them.

6. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

Thanks all

Have got the drive and transferred the data....but am having a bit of an idiot moment. Have opened up the case and can't for the life of me see where I can slot the thing!the cabling is so neat and tidy!have found the power conned cation and can see the sata slot on the motherboard....but where the hell can I physically put the drive!? The area where there are 2 drives already doesn't seem to have any space or drilled holes for screws...not that I can get a screwdriver in there anyway!do am looking elsewhere....any ideas anyone?

7. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

ah...just seen...it only handle 2 x 3.5" drives! bugger!

8. foster grant

Soldato

Hope it doesnt come with one of those Kolink PSUs cos in that link to the PC it looks like it has a Kolink PSU swapping that out would be the first thing I would do.

9. Rannoch

Soldato

Is this a backup drive?

10. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

not a back up drive but everything is backed up elsewhere

11. Danny75

Sgarrista

So are there any 2.5" drives occupying those 3.5" bays? You could transfer those out to any 2.5" mounting locations to make room. If they are SATA SSDs you don't even actually need to mount them, just find a place to rest them somewhere, use double-sided sticky tape or something.

12. Preytheon

Associate

Western Digital Blue/Green would probably be plenty... that said, I have a pair of WD Red's in my PC and they run just fine as 2x8Tb in software RAID1: the Green/Blue would be faster and better suited though - I know they're designed for NAS boxes and servers, so I wouldn't really recommend them... I just had a drive caddy that was failing, so I moved the drives over to make sure they were okay and never moved them back. I think the entire caddy cost less than a single 8Tb drive, so I'm not going to whine about sub-optimal performance :)

13. Jamwelshtralian

Associate

all sorted thanks....swapped out the 1tb in there - was a bit of a palava as everything is very tight but all good in the end!

thanks for the replies all