Hard drive noise from speakers, hardware problem??

Associate
Whenever there is any harddrive activity or when I scroll up or down on the internet I get quite a loud whirring noise through the speakers. I have changed the speakers to try and fix the problem but the same still occurs. I had a problem similar to this before where the psu was causing the problem however I have changed the psu and the problem still occurs. I am using an Asrock dual sata 2 motherboard with onboard sound. Also whenever I try to run battlefield 2142 the pc is restarting, I have removed the side cover and put a fan over it and it still keeps restarting. If you need any other information I will provide it. Cheers

Jon

Soldato
Could you post your full system specs (inc. PSU).

Have you tried updating the audio, and chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Soldato
I also get this! However, I can only hear it through headphones or with the speakers up very loud. I was beginning to think I was going mad...thought my scrollbars needed a drop of oil or something :D

Associate
OP
CPU: Amd Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939
Memory: 2 x 512mb DDR pc3200 Unmatched single channel
Graphics:9800pro Ati 128mb
Motherboard: AsRock 939Dual-Sata2
PSU:Antec 550w Truecontrol

Soldato
I was getting the problem using a Creative Audigy 2. However, I went to check my mixer settings after seeing malachi's suggestion, and the background noises ceased entirely when I muted CD audio....I can only assume it was some sort of static interference being transferred from the CD drive down to the sound card.

Soldato
jonboyo said:
Are there any particular sound cards that you would recommend. Or would any dedicated soundcard help?

A few years ago I bought a Sound Blaster 128 PCI (very old) for less than a tenner just to provide me with some audio interface :) Works fine if you just need it for general usage!

Associate
Minstadave said:
Its usually electromagnetic interference affecting the onboard sound, if it really is a problem investing in a dedicated sound card will sort it.

I would second that it’s an earth type problem all you can try, make sure the motherboard I/O panel is in contact with the sound block. Most I/O panels come with legs which basically look like a bit of metal bent down slight (they are springy) this then comes in contact around each port on the back, which in turns earths to the case.

Permabanned
I get this using a soundblaster audigy4 se, but I didnt fit the backplate to my motherboard - shouldnt be relevent though as I assume that only applys if your using onboard sound.

Back
Top Bottom