hard drives, how long normally to drop in price?

Associate
am hoping to get another large drive in the near future and would love a 2TB one - how long normally for the top end to drop to £100 or so?

Didn't sammy get the ball rolling with the 1TB drives?

Associate
OP
yeah but that's a 1TB drive. i'm interested in the 2TB ones. I referred to the 1TB drives since iirc it was samsungs entry into that market that led to cheap drives

Soldato
It's simple really - 2Tb drives will begin drop in price when larger drives become available. There has always been a jump in price-per-Gb for the largest drive size.

What mjones1 was trying to point out is that you can get 2Tb of storage for a much lower outlay by going for two 1Tb drives. Currently the 1Tb and 1.5Tb drives are around the same price (per Gb) whereas the 2Tb drives are significantly more expensive.

Associate
OP
i know. that's why i got a 1.5TB drive last week. i'm running out of space in my case though so need the biggest drive i can get. hopefully samsung will have one soon and get prices down

Associate
i know. that's why i got a 1.5TB drive last week. i'm running out of space in my case though so need the biggest drive i can get. hopefully samsung will have one soon and get prices down

I can't see 2tb drives dropping in price anytime soon.

Associate
OP
me neither. sammy have 500gig platters, why not make a 2gig drive ffs.

i'll see what i can get around xmas. i've filled the 1.5TB drive and need another at least that size everything else

Soldato
They won't drop in price until they have a larger model out, which isn't going to be any time soon thanks to the 2TB MFT limitation (you can't boot from a volume bigger than 2TB, so it's unlikely the manufacturers will bother making them becasue of the inevitable customer support headache)

What you might see is a drop in price for the old models when they move up to 666GB or 1TB platters, but that's going to take a while and they'll probably just phase out the old models entirely since a reduction in platters has cost benefits for them, but not a great deal of marketable performance improvement.

Considering how much more per GB they are, you're probably better off getting 1.5TB drives, and either building a networked file server or getting a better case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
you can still use GPT (i think) anyways for larger than 2TB partitions. As for support, if they sell the drives OEM then it wouldn't be their problem would it?

i have a coolermaster stacker, just full of drives now

Associate
i'm running out of space in my case....
It's relative to what you're storing on them. If you can't afford that extra £50 then you might have to look at a different case but that depends on how many ports you have left on your board, if not you have usb ports which you can use or just start burning to disc.

I can't see what it is you're storing that require such high demands. if it's business related then maybe but surely you can afford to spend the extra cash, if it's leisure then I can't see the need

Associate
OP
i hate swapping disks and prefer to store all media on drives. i have HD-DVDs, loads of old DVDs and now blu rays. i've filled the 1.5TB drive with some, but haven't got to the HD stuff yet.

it's not the case that's full really. i phrased it badly, it's the lack of sata ports.

Associate
OP
yea, but i want to replace old 80GB/120GB drives over time with higher capacity. could keep em but would get annoying having all those drives.

will just see the prices around xmas

Associate
OP
done all of mine. about 300 or so. had em spanned across random drives - now all on 1. nice to have em all as 1 file. screw the extras :)

will have to re-encode the anime ones mind. whoever makes those needs a slap. needs some serious de-interlacing.

HD is easier, just takes longer and more space to do. those are just waiting for a drive to go on :)

Back
Top Bottom