• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hard power off with 3090 under load

Soldato
You're right, they're not. But to muddy the waters even more, they recently started putting their badge on one or two good quality units. So it's a real minefield when it comes to power supplies. I tend to stick to the Seasonic or Corsair ones as most of those tend to be okay, there are one or two turds by both as well though.

OP, I'd agree with everyone else. Dual 40a rails probably equates to around 65a in real money and if the quality of the supply is questionable, then it won't sustain the load of a 3090. Go for one big single rail. That's what I've always done, this thing I have delivers 83a, just in case I install something power hungry. And if I don't, I have a whisper quiet system.

You can't link to competitors here, but you can get a make and model of something you're looking at and run it by people here. Woodsta seems very knowledgeable on this subject and will perhaps also weigh in with an opinion with any suggestions you make.

Cheers! But not as knowledgeable as I thought. Kit Guru says it's not a half bad PSU. https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/bitfenix-whisper-m-series-850w-psu-review/

3090 is beast though and they'll be some power demand with the monitor the OP bought AND a VR setup.

@EirePlane When you have the hard power off. Do you have to disconnect from the mains (toggle off at the PSU) to reset the PSU or does your monitor go black and your PC reboots to OS login?

Soldato
Had it with vga power cables. Old ones were braided and looked nicer than the new ones... Nothing. Like the mains plug wasn't in.
Changed them over (after asking for advice here!) and ran perfectly like nothing ever happened. I was lucky...

Most likely the different pin out caused a short circuit (ie you had both a 12v and ground connected to the same rail on the GPU) and thankfully your new PSU had short circuit protection built in... hence why it acted like it wasn’t plugged in.

Associate
I had the same problem too. Corsair Ax860, would shutdown when playing games. Replaced the unit and the problem went away.

I don't think it's the amount of power that was causing it, but the spikes being too much of a jump and triggering a sensitive ocp. I think this as the PSU runs fine in a system that draws more power than the 3090 system (373w gpu + 9900k oc, the 3090@350w system cpu is undervolted and under clocked due to small cooler whilst I wait for a GPU block).

Associate
I have similar issue now, kinda sucks as I thought this psu will last :rolleyes: EVGA P2 1000. I played over 90hrs Cyberpunk and nothing happened even once. But when I started playing Control randomly it froze with reset. Default CPU and GPU didn't help. Currently, the moment I start Control it restarts when save loads. Cyberpunk is restarting as well, so something degraded. I undervolted the card and it is playable (although haven't played for hours as moved to PS5 to play Control so not fully sure). And it has never happened when I stressed tested it with 3dmark etc.

Back
Top Bottom