Hardest job you've ever done?

Associate
Only really worked in pubs before getting a proper job, but the toughest one was working in a pub whose landlord wanted to cut corners everywhere to save money, ****ing nightmare. He even considered charging people for soda water at which point I left.

Soldato
I worked for a vineyard doing bottling, packing, vine tending, and general work. It was back breaking and we had to work in all weather. That was the most physically demanding job I've done.

Soldato
2 paper rounds when I was 13-14, one in the morning and then after school in the afternoon. Get up at 6 and walk up a massive, steep hill for around half an hour then down a little hill then back the way I came to go home and get ready for school. Afternoon one I managed to do on my bike but I was usually either knackered from playing football at school or wanted to meet all my mates. Got £8 from the morning one a week and £7 from the afternoon one but the Christmas tips from people were amazing.

Soldato
Used to work summers on the boats on the Thames. Some of it was easy, but the frequent 17.5 hr days were gruelling.

First job outside of University working for a headhunter was tough too. 8am-8pm minimum, absolute non-stop work, 5 mins to pop out to get lunch and eat at your desk. Plus I worked every Sunday (apart from 4) during my first year with the firm! :eek:

Associate
Quite a few have put paper rounds when they were in their early teens, One would say thank God we live in the 21st Century. If we didnt a 16 hr day working your fingers to the bone would be the norm from a very very early age. Anything now would not compete with those conditions, One would say many in the third world are still working under these draconian conditions.

I would like to turn this thread on its head and say the easiest Job is the one I have right now having worked without a gap for over 30 yrs doing some crap and very hard jobs along the way (multi drop hand ball) Class 2 up and downstairs etc in all kinds of weather, delivering coal etc. I have found my Utopia in the NHS and long may it continue.

Soldato
During holidays from uni, I did night shifts at a Kwik Save branch. Only two people in all night and always loads of pallets to get through, so very little chance to talk. Pretty much 12 hours of hard-grafting on your own.

Soldato
Royal Navy for 3.5 years - even though I havent been in that long, I have done loads, visited multiple war zones, but generally had a laugh doing it! Not as much when you are doing 6 hours on, 6 hours off constantly for 1.5 months when at sea, that was emotionally draining.

Before that worked as a salesmen at "Where in the world", which I actually loved looking back at it.

Before purple shirt brigade, worked in the Marriott hotel.

I hated that job so much - long hours, rubbish pay and worked with the worst staff ever. Customers were ***** too...

Soldato
I used to work at a lumber mill back in Canada. It was mindless work, but very physically demanding and exhausting.

Depending on what we were outputting, I could be stacking 12 boards a minute, with each one weighing about 5lbs. Including breaks and downtime, I figure that I'd lift 23,400lbs each and every day. Needless to say, within a few months of starting, I was rather ripped.

http://goo.gl/maps/e99tH

Last edited:
Soldato
"Adult Film Performer".

Quite daunting, but good fun (obviously). Made about 23 films at last count, but it was so demanding that there came a point I realised I just couldn't keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom