Hardtail blues

Associate
Hi guys :)

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable bike people on here and I wondered if anyone could spare some wisdom.

I've been mountain biking for years and thoroughly enjoying myself whenever I get out and dirty. However this hasn't been so much fun over the last year or so as every time I go out I come back in severe pain due to an overly hard, teeth shattering, bum bruising experience :( (ooh err). My riding style has changed a lot and I even signed up to a club who go out on various different routes across Dorset. I'm now finding that my hardtail really is too hard and it's ruining my enjoyment of what I used to love :(. I'm starting to take on more bumpy routes that go on for longer and it's really getting me down with how uncomfortable my bike feels.

I've been out of touch with current bikes for years and really don't want to buy anything which isn't suitable.

I currently have a GT Zaskar race (explains some of the hard ride) with a XTR drive train, Pace RC38 LT forks, Hope Mono Mini's. I'd like to move as many parts as I can to a new frame (having spent a lot over the years) but obviously whilst I'm at it I may as well change some parts like the chain, BB etc. I'm really torn between buying a frame or perhaps a whole new bike but to be totally frank I am clueless when it comes to full suspension.

I would like something that's a lot more comfortable, can handle some bumps but most importantly can climb without me feeling like I'm treading jelly. I know bikes have changed since I last tried a full suss but I really want to make this a good buy.

Does anybody have any recommendations or thoughts on the matter?

I guess I need a budget, which is probably round about £1500. Is this going to be feasible for that amount?:confused:

Thank you for reading ;)

Soldato
One of our group recently upgraded from a Hardtail to a full suspension bike and hasn't looked back since.
He sold his Focus Raven Pro frame and got a Trek Fuel EX, kept some of his old parts and sold whatever was left over.

Evans Cycles currently has a 2009 Trek Fuel EX 7 reduced from £1550 to £1300 - check it out : http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/fuel-ex-7-2009-mountain-bike-ec016520

trek-fuel-ex-7-2009-mountain-bike.jpg

Soldato
Hi Medge,

It sounds like you are after a short travel trail/XC bike. Realistically for the level of components you are used to a full bike could easily cost £1000 or more than your budget allows. DT Swiss fork (Pace) XTR, Hope etc...but saying that, components have come a long way since Pace forks (as good as they were), so depending on what you have upgraded/replaced over te years todays lower spec components may be just as good if not better than what you have just now, so don't rule out more lowe spec bikes.

On an XC/race route you could look at the 100mm travel Santacuz Superlight frame (I am being unashamadly biased here) that would keep that XC race feel of the Zasker but take the sting out of things. Most of your components should transfer across too. £1200 would buy you the frame and let you upgrade/replace other parts with the cash left over from your budget...which isn't going to be cheap.

For more of a trail bike (shorter top tube and slacker angles) you are looking around the 120-140mm mark which would mean a new fork as well, this is moving away from the speed and climbing characteristics of a race bike but not too much, and it will be a lot more comfy than a 100mm race bike. Something like a Specializd Pitch comes in at £1400 complete.

Try a few bikes in the 100 to 140mm travel range to see what type you want then decide if you want to go custom build or complete off the shelf.

Associate
OP
Thank you both for the excellent replies ;) Lots of useful things for me to look at.

I like the look of the Trek, certainly one I can go and take a look at if I can find one locally. Can't blame anyone upgrading their hardtail to a full susser once the going gets bumpy :D Even though I hadn't fallen off, the last time I took my bike out I came back with more bruises than the last time I stacked it :D

weescott

Short travels definitely what I was leaning towards; I just wasn't really sure which make/model to check out. A lot of the guys I go out with seem to favour Specializeds which look good; I was just hoping there's something a little different to check out. Just taken a look at the Santa Cruz and I really like the look of it :D plus it's got some pretty saucy looking colours to choose from. I assume a lot of these bikes now have some form of lockout on the rear/front suspension? Last time I got my forks it was the new 'big' thing and something I've learned to love.

I mean, if it takes a little more cash than I had budgeted for I don't mind it being a slow upgrade process as it's basically what I did with the Zaskar. As long as I never add up the total cost and realise I could have bought a new car I should be ok :D I just want this to be as spot on as possible.

Looking at the Pitch, it certainly seems to tick a lot of boxes and I also have a local Specialized dealer which would be worth checking out.

I must admit the last time I did all this I was somewhat let down by the local bike shops as not one would let me have a test ride. Which was the reason I chose to do a custom build on the Zaskar and sell body parts to finance it over the years.

I think I'll check out some of the shops locally and see if the service has improved over the years (fingers crossed). I think I need to at least get an idea of frame size first.

Thank you both for the advice, I'll see what I can find locally and go from there. :)

Soldato
If you're looking at Specialized bikes then this may help

2009 Full Suspension bikes

Epic

9795-25_epic_sworks_carb_nat_red_d.jpg

XC race bike, 100mm travel. The rear shock is controlled by a ‘Brain’ unit which enables you to set when the rear shock is active. It’s a very fast and light bike but not much fun/comfortable when riding down rocky descents. It's the current XC World Championship bike.
Weight : 21.3lbs (S-Works)

Stump Jumper FSR/ FSR XC

9790-45_SJ_FSR_SW_carbon_satin_d.jpg
9392-11_FSRXC_pro_silver_d.jpg

Trail bike : 120-140mm travel, lightweight and fits nicely between the Epic and Enduro. They are similar bikes to the Fuel EX above.
Weight : 23lbs (S-Works)

Enduro SL/Pitch

9790-31_enduro_SW_carb-1_d.jpg
09PitchPro_d.jpg

All Mountain : 150-160mm travel; slacker angles, stronger frames and built for bigger descents.
Weight : 27lbs (S-Works)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the links SDK^ it much appreciated :)

I've seen the FSR XC a lot on our rides as quite a few of the members went for the same one it seems.

I love the look of the Epic but the price (matches the name 'Epic') coupled with it not being that comfortable on the descents kind of rules it out. The standard Stumpy you've listed looks swish and weight wise it seems about right to me. I think I'm going to have to see them and hopefully get a ride because it's all numbers on paper at this stage. Until I check them out I can't tell if I'm going to be ok with the extra weight to lug around. The last thing I want to do is cut down on the bananas/malt loaf because my bike weighs more :D

I really appreciate your advice, thank you :)

Soldato
I've seen the FSR XC a lot on our rides as quite a few of the members went for the same one it seems.

I have one of these and it was the first bike that converted me to the idea of a full susser. The weight gain over a hardtail is more than made up for in ride comfort and the speed at which you can blaze through technical stuff :)

Associate
OP
I have one of these and it was the first bike that converted me to the idea of a full susser. The weight gain over a hardtail is more than made up for in ride comfort and the speed at which you can blaze through technical stuff :)

Hopefully checking out the Specialized store this weekend, as soon as I can finish a mountain of work. I've just noticed they've got a few of the 2010's in stock so hopefully there might be some deals on the 2009 range ;)

Quite like the look of the Orange range, I still remember the original Orange Clockwork from years ago :eek: still love the colour scheme to this day. Must admit I've never liked Kona's :( they just don't seem to grab me like the other makes. Thanks for the reminder about the Oranges though, I'd clean forgotten about them :)

Back
Top Bottom