Harper's law Petition

Soldato
The sentiment is there, but i can't help but feel what they are requesting is rather open ended in some respects and rather specific in others.
Harper's Law will mean a person found guilty of killing a police officer, firefighter, nurse, doctor, paramedic or prison officer as a direct result of a crime they have committed would be jailed for life.
So its limited to those professions?, is that just when on duty or at all times? and the only bar is that they have killed one of those as a result of crime they have committed, which could include careless driving caused by a moments lapse in concentration, which while sad shouldn't invoke this, the sentence should not be affected by the job title of the unfrotunate.

I have grave mis-givings about this petition, and consider it an emotional resposne rather than a logical one, and needs a bit more work.

I suppose we are back down to that awkward intent question again..... we can't prove beyond resonable doubt that they intended to kill him, but we probably can prove that they didn't really care if they did as long as they got away from him.. but how to make a rule to catch such cases....

.... something along the lines of much longer sentences for manslaughter that occurs as a result of trying to commit another crime would probably work, in this case, the manslaughter was proven, the trying to commit another crime could be easily done so, even if it wasn't done in this case becuase they had bigger charges to get him on.

Soldato
Harper's Law will mean a person found guilty of killing a police officer, firefighter, nurse, doctor, paramedic or prison officer as a direct result of a crime they have committed would be jailed for life.
So I steal a manhole cover and a nurse falls down it and dies, then I go to jail for life?

Permabanned
I don't understand why people make petitions on change.org instead of the official petitions site. Official site has an obligation to reply at 10k and debate at 100k, change.org has no obligation whatsoever.

Soldato
So I steal a manhole cover and a nurse falls down it and dies, then I go to jail for life?
That's not a direct result of your action.
However, if you are in the process of stealing it, knock him/her over because they're in your way or something, and they then die from injuries sustained during that, then jail for life... or being flattened by a fire engine, depending on who wins this thread.

Manslaughterer.
You should probably change that to Personslaughterer, before the Twitteratti demand your soul in payment for your abusive hate-speech.

Associate
OP
being flattened by a fire engine, depending on who wins this thread.

I'm about to head over to LL now and see if I can find a video of this, I'm eager to see what your fascination is with this lol

First time on the internet?

Or is this a case of "don't question me, just sign it"?

Why question me? I thought it was a nice thing to post, I didn't set it up nor did I lose my Husband to 3 guys with intent to be idiots who were smiling in the dock. Maybe I should be posting free those guys instead? Would seem that's what most would want now.

Back
Top Bottom