• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD lost the GPU war?

Soldato
a lot of people are forgetting we are about to have a 3rd player enter the market here... Intel... they want to take down Nvidia due to Nvidia blitzing them in their own backyard with AI and Deeplearning etc....

I personally think the Turing cards were a cash grab from Nvidia just because they could do it, as they know what is coming, Intel will enter the market, they wont be the cheapest thats for sure but i reckon they will be competitive, and they may well come in a little cheaper than Nvidia just to get traction going.

AMD will carry on feeding the low and mid tier, they do ok here mostly. Let Nvidia and Intel fight it out over halo products, AMD keep churning out Console SOC's, although i wouldnt be against Intel trying to get into some consoles next as well.

The way i see it is Intel and Nvidia will duke it out over the highest end, AMD will feed off the lower ends, but overall i think GPU prices will drop as Nvidia and Intel try to outdo each other, and the odd random surprise from AMD lobbed in.

I think Intel might go the other way. They will invest more in their GPU uarch to improve their IGPs and develop mid-tier dGPUs,so they can displace AMD and Nvidia dGPUs from mass market laptops and desktops. It is also a far easier target to reach in terms of actual performance and die size. So instead of say a GTX1050/GTX1050TI or RX560 in that £600 laptop,it becomes an Intel CPU and Intel dGPU integrated in a compact package(think of the SKU they tested EMIB with),and they can get a greater share of the money coming from such an SKU.

So it does worry me,since as much as that is going to affect Nvidia,it is also not so good for AMD too.

Associate
I think Intel might go the other way. They will invest more in their GPU uarch to improve their IGPs and develop mid-tier dGPUs,so they can displace AMD and Nvidia dGPUs from mass market laptops and desktops. It is also a far easier target to reach in terms of actual performance and die size. So instead of say a GTX1050/GTX1050TI or RX560 in that £600 laptop,it becomes an Intel CPU and Intel dGPU integrated in a compact package(think of the SKU they tested EMIB with),and they can get a greater share of the money coming from such an SKU.

So it does worry me,since as much as that is going to affect Nvidia,it is also not so good for AMD too.

This is true, but between AMD and Intel they will either force Nvidia to drop prices, especially in the low end, or just make them irrelevant in that sector. Intel is like the angry guy thats just been woken up by Nvidia, smart thing for AMD is to stand and eat popcorn as Nvidia and Intel take lumps out of each other.

Man of Honour
Not lost but they are behind when it comes to market share, I can foresee £2000 GPU's becoming the norm for Nvidia though, The time of brilliant GPU's like the fairly well priced £699 1080 Ti being long dead and if AMD do decide to concentrate solely on CPU's and the server market as that's where the money is, PC gaming will become a rich mans hobby only, It will become stagnant and PC gaming will slowly die off as the user base will simply not be able to afford the ever increasing prices.

I don't think we will see £2000 GPUs becoming the norm from NVidia, you only have to look at how few people are in the RTX Titan owners thread to see that is not going to happen.

Of the 4 people in the thread at least one I think uses the cards for professional work.

I think for 7nm NVidia will move away from high prices and offer 2080 Ti performance at around £700 next time. If they don't they will suffer falling sales and loss of share value.

To be honest Turing is the worst product NVidia have produced in years and should never have seen the light of day for one simple reason, it does not offer good bang for buck or even get close to it.

Man of Honour

Low and Mid range GPUs are the area to target as that is where the sales and money is.

If intel make a success of the above then maybe in 3 or 4 years time they will go after the high end as well.

ATM I think NVidia are very vulnerable as Turing just does not offer enough raw performance on any of their cards for the money they charge and RTX and DLSS don't come close to making up for it.

Soldato
a lot of people are forgetting we are about to have a 3rd player enter the market here... Intel... they want to take down Nvidia due to Nvidia blitzing them in their own backyard with AI and Deeplearning etc....

I personally think the Turing cards were a cash grab from Nvidia just because they could do it, as they know what is coming, Intel will enter the market, they wont be the cheapest thats for sure but i reckon they will be competitive, and they may well come in a little cheaper than Nvidia just to get traction going.

AMD will carry on feeding the low and mid tier, they do ok here mostly. Let Nvidia and Intel fight it out over halo products, AMD keep churning out Console SOC's, although i wouldnt be against Intel trying to get into some consoles next as well.

The way i see it is Intel and Nvidia will duke it out over the highest end, AMD will feed off the lower ends, but overall i think GPU prices will drop as Nvidia and Intel try to outdo each other, and the odd random surprise from AMD lobbed in.

If their card(s) are good I cannot foresee the first generation selling that well unless they price them extremely keen. AMD and Nvidia are both established brands in this space and people tend to go with what they know and have been proven, even more for project buyers in the enterprise space.

Back
Top Bottom