Has anyone donated blood before?

Suspended
yep :) very simple.. shouldnt feel any after effects although they do ask you sit and drink juice and biscuits for a few mins afterwards at the donation site :)

I've never felt any after effects from it apart from feeling positive about the whole process :)

You can only donate once every few months though

Suspended
go to the gym then give blood then go and get drunk. 2 pints will have you rolling!

I did the gym and give blood part. Made me feel a little faint

Permabanned
Yup, about 20 times now.

I sometimes feel a little lightheaded after for about an hour, but that might be psychological. I think it takes 24-36 hours to regenerate, but I feel back to normal after an hour and the effects are only very mild.

You also get free tea and biscuits and a chat with the student nurse ;)

Man of Honour
You get your liquid blood back in about 48 hours but it takes some weeks for the red blood cells to restore and thats why you have to wait 3 months.

I give platelets every 3 weeks or so and you can do that because you get your liquid blood and red blood cells back and platelets generate very quickly.

I have donated blood since I was 18 and platelets since I was 26, nearly 14 years in all. I have about 120 doantions in all give or take a couple. Do it.:)

I am on a break now as I have just got a couple of tattoos done and my left arm is scarred off multiple donations so my arm could do with the break.

Soldato
First donation back in June - had absolutely no idea I was old enough to do it until they sent me a letter so I went :)

Apparently I have to wait 16 weeks so roll on October :D

Suspended
The OH donates plasma every week and studies schoolwork with the needle in his arm for about an hour or so. Gets paid about $30 for it.

They won't let me participate since I was living in the UK during the 80's, so obviously I'm a mad cow. :p

Man of Honour
yep, no pain slight scratch as the needle goes in. A lot of people feel slightly wired after wards but that only last a few minutes. Just the body getting use to less blood. Also going on the **** afterwards is very cheap. Its so good.

Soldato
I gave blood a few times at uni but had to wait a bit when I got a tattoo last year, so I should be able to donate now.

I would just like to think that if myself or my family needed blood it would be there, the same with organs etc really, so I'd encourage people to donate.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've given many times over the years. Coming up to 50th shortly. It used to be a pain when they made you lie for 5 mins afterwards, and then have a hot drink. But gradually they're getting more relaxed. First you could have a cold drink instead of the hot one - less time to wait. And then last time I gave, they relaxed the five min lie, and said I could get up an leave the bed as soon as I wanted.

Only once did I feel faint, and that was on the way home afterwards. I'd cycled that time. But since then, I drive or walk, with no problems whatever.

Back
Top Bottom