Has anyone ever used AutoSocks?

olv

olv

Soldato
I have hired a 4x4 (Jeep Cherokee type thing) through Canadian Affair for a two week holiday in January. I've been told that Avis (nor National or Hertz) do not offer snow tyres on any of their vehicles from Calgary airport.

We are going to be travelling on some potentially very snowy and infrequently used roads and obviously want to avoid getting stuck. The plan is to buy a pair of the AutoSocks to take with us.

The trick is what size to get them in? There are 8 sizes according to this http://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-size-guide/ I've asked the rental company if they can give a rough idea of what size tyres we could expect but not heard anything back.

Does anyone have any practical experience with these and know how much leeway there is in the sizing if we're not able to find out the exact tyre size before we arrive? Because we may be able to get away with slightly larger ones on smaller wheels? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Caporegime
What's the tyre law in canada, i thought you legally had to change them during a set period of the year?

Your best bet might be hire a car at the airport, drive to the snow covered area and change it at a local hire agent for one with snow tyres.

olv

olv

Soldato
OP
What's the tyre law in canada, i thought you legally had to change them during a set period of the year?

Your best bet might be hire a car at the airport, drive to the snow covered area and change it at a local hire agent for one with snow tyres.

Not sure on the laws but they've just come back to me told me the insurance is invalid if you add anything to the car, whether it be chains, autosocks or whatever.

Anyway, I'm non the wiser as to the tyre size.

Good thought on swapping it local, I'll have to see if that's a possibility. Thanks.

Capodecina
Soldato
FOR SHORT-TERM EMERGENCY USE ONLY!

... We are going to be travelling on some potentially very snowy and infrequently used roads and obviously want to avoid getting stuck. The plan is to buy a pair of the AutoSocks to take with us. ...
Bear in mind that even Autosocks state that their product is designed to "get you out of trouble" in an emergency - they are not designed for continued use, they wear out very rapidly. They are supposedly legal in France but I know for a fact that the Gendarmes in the Alps will still not accept them where snow chains are required.

FOR SHORT-TERM EMERGENCY USE ONLY!

Soldato
It might be worth swapping the jeep for something like a dodge ram 4x4 as they usually have an all weather type tyre and deal with bad roads much better.

I would take a set of chains with me regardless tho. The weather can turn very bad with little warning and a set of chains might get you out of some serious trouble.

Last edited:
Associate
It might be worth swapping the jeep for something like a dodge ram 4x4 as they usually have an all weather type tyre and deal with bad roads
3.gif

Back
Top Bottom