Has anyone got a Zipstick to hand?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
If you have, I don't suppose you can send me the dimensions please?

In particular the size of the buttons and length of the shaft (I never thought I would ever ask anyone that haha)

I'm working on a Zippystick design/project and would like to get the dimensions as close to the original as possible.

These are the buttons I'm thinking of using, but I think they might be a tad too big

And this is the joystick, not sure to get a small or long shaft

or

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
I do, buttons are 18.5mm x 18.5mm
Which shaft measurement would you like? ( :cry: )

48cXEZR.jpg.png
You’re a star!

Can you measure the shaft from the base of the yellow divider thing to the underside of the ball please haha

Can you also measure the from the main joystick base to the top of ball please… I might draw a picture with what measurements I’m after if that’s not too much trouble for you.

I went ahead and ordered a selection of parts last night ended up spending £61 hope it bloody works lol

Soldato
You sir are a legend!!!
No probs, sorry if im a mm out on D or G. D was hardest to measure to top of stick.
I'm surprised there's no Zipstick dimensions / blueprints on the internet. I had a quick look to see if mine were 100% correct but couldnt see any

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
I know! I did look first before asking and couldn’t find any either. My go to is dimensions.com but they’ve only got an Atari Joystick

Just want to say thank you again, this is a huge help.

The arcade parts and my new 3D printer should arrive tomorrow :D

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Here's a rough mockup using G2's dimensions... the final is going to have to be much bulkier as the Zippyy Joystick is 35mm deep

Edit/

Very very basic mockup of the Zippyy joystick side-by-side with the Zip Stick

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone thought of do a photogrammetry model of the Zipstick in Blender, then tidying that up in Blender for 3D printing? Just a thought, would be a good way of really capturing the shape of the main body. There is some free software to do this called Meshroom, always impressed by what this can do.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
It’s going to be a beast! Wanting to use a Zippyy Joystick to make a modern Zip Stick replicate was probably a bad idea lol

Edit /

Ok, it's not going to be as bad as I first thought, here's a quick overlay of them both

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
I've gone off on a slight design tangent, at one point it started to look a Cheetah Bug :cry:

The arcade joystick and buttons I have, aren't quite suited to the original design. I'll add the groves down the side and prob redo the case where the buttons are, but this is where I'm up too...

Rev 1

Cross section comparisons with the Zip Stick mockup from the back

Cross section comparisons with the Zip Stick mockup from the side

Last edited:
Soldato
Great progress and glad I could help with this :)
I guess you just beefed up 'F' on the dimensions you asked for to accomodate the Zippy?
Also, if you were not aware, both left and right buttons on the Zipstick are the same button. They are both wired in parallel just to suit both left and right handed people (or if you get hand ache I guess you can swap)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Yeah I’ve had to beef up F and E as well to fit the buttons. I’m thinking of increasing C which will allow me to reduce F and the overall bulk.

I was thinking of the best way to wire the buttons, keep them as separate buttons and assign them in software or wire them together to act as the same as you said.

The other four buttons I’ve got are for Auto fire, Rapid fire, Mode and Clear. They are a lot bigger than what I thought, might have to go back to the drawing board on those.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Just about to try and figure out how to add the groves down the side

Edit / Added the side grooves, not perfect but I'm not sure how well they'll print either so will do for now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom