1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone invested in a proper gaming table?

Discussion in 'Tabletop Games, Wargaming and Scale Modelling.' started by Macro, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Macro

Soldato

We need a large new kitchen table so tempted to kill two birds with one stone, break the bank and go for a nice oak combined table / gaming table, something like.

http://naturaltwentytables.co.uk/
    or
    http://www.geeknson.co.uk/uk/readymade/

It'd be nice to be able to leave games set up. Anyone looked at some of these tables and have an opinion/recommendations?

2. No1newts

Capodecina

Always been tempted but just feel they are a rip off for what you are getting. I mean the first one is nice but £2700 is mental.

3. Flibster

Caporegime

Looked at them, horrendously expensive for the most part. We'd be looking at 3-4ft by 5-6ft. So that'll be £2-3000. Ouch.

I'm in the process of designing a reasonably lightweight topper to use on our coffee table. Needs to be light enough for the other half to move.
    Thinking 6mm mdf, 25mm expanded polystyrene foam, 6mm mdf. Bit of 25mm baton around the edge and from corner to corner to add strength. Then just some nicely shaped wood around the edge and a microsuede covered neoprene as a top surface.

4. tamzzy

Capodecina

£3k for that!?
    Fool and his money springs to mind...

5. azazl187

Wise Guy

I don't get it.... Whats wrong with a normal table?

6. chilipeppersc

Hitman

That's just too normal, and certainly missing the word 'gaming' from it.... Duhhh

7. corkhead

Gangster

Like any luxury item, only you can decide if it’s worth it. Let’s face it, this is an obscene luxury! Especially when you add accessories..

Will you game on it enough to warrant the cost?

Asking people whether you should get one will result in all sorts of replies
    “You could pay for a woodworking course and then make one yourself” was one of the good ones I got :) which is true.. but does anyone have that spare time? I didn’t..

Anyway.. I got a geeknson coffee table made. Primarily to house a large Lego millennium falcon but it also converts into a gaming table.

When it arrives and they use it they all said “ooo this is so worth it. It’s awesome!”

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. JeditOjanen

Mobster

You don't even need to do the woodworking course. BoardGameGeek has a whole forum section devoted to DIY gaming tables and people always post the schematics. Print off the set you like, take them to a local carpenter and you'll get your £2000 table for a few hundred plus materials.

10. Andrew_McP

Mobster

What will they think of next, gaming chairs?!

11. tamzzy

Capodecina

but that's because you're only making one table, that the cost of equipment is high, relative to the cost of materials and time. yes skill is also involved.

whereas with the gaming table company (one would hope) they're making enough so the cost of equipment would be sufficiently amortised for it to be negligible per table...and sufficiently skilled that time and written-off tables would be minimised.
    so then...one would be left paying for "skill"
    but as above poster said...might as well then go down to the local carpenter and get it done for hundreds...and save thousands in the meantime...

12. corkhead

Gangster

I went to a couple of local carpenters and asked the price for exactly the same thing that I asked from geeknson and their prices were no different.

Perhaps that’s because mine was quite different to the ones they usually make and the plans on BGG. It has toughened glass to cover the top for display mode etc

Big respect to anyone that does actually make their own though!!

13. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

14. Macro

Soldato

I suppose the reason for considering one is we need a ~6ft x 3ft solid kitchen table anyway. Given demands on time these days it's rare we get to finish a game so I quite like the idea of being able to leave things set up and just put the lid back on. Not really interested in the LED lights, USB sockets etc.

15. gradyhawks

Wise Guy

So I'm in the gaming industry (tabletop) and I've recently got costs on the trade cost for GeeknSons tables, which is about 20% that of the RRP. That's for trade, so expect GeeknSons actual cost to be in the 5-10% range of the RRP.

16. Macro

Soldato

So a £3000 table for £600 - wow, that's a hell of a markup if you can resell the tables.

17. Pookie Bear

Soldato

I really wanted something special for gaming, but I also wanted to stay married, so I built a portable digital tabletop for about £70, had a monitor donated and it's pretty awesome for RPGs, paired with the right software. Plus I put it away at the end of games night, and my wife doesn't want to kill me (as much as usual).

18. gradyhawks

Wise Guy

You'd find yourself without a supplier for over priced gaming tables if you don't sell close to the RRP I'm afraid!

But goes to show that you could get one commissioned by a carpenter for a lot less.

19. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

20. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

I got 3 bits of 3 by 2, 12mm ply and a roll of duck tape.

Works okay for me :)