• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has anyone used the AMD CPU Loan for Bios Update

Soldato
I need to update my x470 bios. I don't have a 1st or 2nd gen CPU. None of the local computer shops can help so I'm thinking of using the Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit from AMD.

The loan CPU is described as a Athlon 200GE. My motherboard supports the following 200GEs:
EwWl9cd.png

My BIOS Is revision 4207 so I have a 1 in 3 chance of it working! Does anyone know specifcally what CPU it is that is shipped?

Alternatively I can buy a APU for £25 from eBay.

Soldato
I used the and boot kit to update a bios when I got a 2200G. I had to show boxes and recipes of everything I bought and sent it over to amd as a rma. Had a A6 processor which allowed me to boot up and update the bios and then sent it back.

All postage was covered and arranged by amd. All I had to send back was the ship and kept the cooler.

Shame intel doesn’t do something like this as it helped me out a lot as it was a build for my son

Associate
I've also been looking into this. Switching from an Intel to AMD and bought a Asus prime x370. I ignorantly thought 3rd gen Ryzen will work on any AM4 socket, but realise now I'll have to get hold of a boot kit or perhaps cheekily buy a cheap Athlon CPU from CEX online and return it within the 14 days...

Associate
People like you are pushing prices up for everyone.
Thank you
I've been messed about by CEX so much over the past couple of years had to return around 5 phones because they stopped working for one reason or another.

The last time, they said they would send back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair and it would take 2 weeks max and they would get in touch when to collect. Well three weeks come and go and nothing. They said come back and check next week. End up having to go back every week in person for the next 4 weeks to chase them up about it since they have no direct store phones or email, spend god knows how much of my time, petrol, and parking money doing so, and nearly 2 months later they say somehow it hadn't actually even been sent off for repair yet! And all the while I had to buy another dumb phone off them just so I could make calls and keep in touch with family (no land line at the time)

I'm not saying it's completely ethical, but I feel like they at least owe me a favour to "borrow" a CPU.

Back
Top Bottom