Has GPS been partially disabled as a consequence of Trumps vist to the UK?

Soldato
I only ask because I have two different sat-navs that have, today, reported poor satellite signal.

Pure coincidence? or has the GPS system been de-tuned temporarily for security reasons?

Associate
The only GPS jamming briefed for the UK at the moment is in the Hebrides ranges. So if you’re in Scotland you could be seeing the effects, otherwise it’ll just be poor due to atmospherics/buildings.

Soldato
OP
The only GPS jamming briefed for the UK at the moment is in the Hebrides ranges. So if you’re in Scotland you could be seeing the effects, otherwise it’ll just be poor due to atmospherics/buildings.

Not sure about "Jamming" as such. But I am sure I remember reading that the system could be selectively de-tuned or even made completely unavailable to civilians any time the US wished (One of the justifications for Galileo)

Given the very real risk these days of GPS guided drone attacks or even low cost cruise missiles (See http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/cruise.shtml Its old hat now, but at the same time this would also be far easier to build today than 20 years ago!)

I would not think it at all unlikely (Or unreasonable) that civilian GPS in the vicinity of POTUS might be selectively disabled during a state visit.

No foil hat required! :)

Associate
Yep, I've seen it happen, it is entirely possible to deny GPS signals over a specified geographical area, either by the operator of the satellite constellation or any suitably equipped military.

Whether or not it happened in London when POTUS arrived, I have no idea - it seems unlikely given the amount of disruption it would cause.

Soldato
The US DoD can enable Selective Availability at any time, turning 50 centimetre accuracy for a 3D fix into thousands of metres.

I seem to remember the system designers being worried about the Russians using to enhance the accuracy of their MIRVs, but by the time GPS was completely deployed, they realised that a thousand metre error meant little when applied to megaton warheads.

Soldato
I don't really see the point in doing it.

People can still find their way to London without satnavs (well, maybe not the current generation :p ) and anyone trying to get to the president is going to have bigger problems than no GPS.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't really see the point in doing it.

People can still find their way around without satnavs.

I don't think the threat comes from people using satnav, rather somebody using a drone or something similar as a weapon.

Actually, thinking about it, if they did actually jam the GPS over London, it would play hell with the airspace for all the London airports. So I doubt they did it.

Associate
I don't think the threat comes from people using satnav, rather somebody using a drone or something similar as a weapon.

Actually, thinking about it, if they did actually jam the GPS over London, it would play hell with the airspace for all the London airports. So I doubt they did it.

It would have to be NOTAM’d if it was jammed over a wide area. More common would be local jamming in immediate proximity. Same goes for disabling the unencrypted (civil) GPS network over an area. As long as GPS issues are notified air traffic can operate without it, although certain routes might be impacted.

Soldato
OP

It can be done selectively, "Privileged" users will not be disrupted.

I seem to remember the system designers being worried about the Russians using to enhance the accuracy of their MIRVs, but by the time GPS was completely deployed, they realised that a thousand metre error meant little when applied to megaton warheads.

Actually, that is wrong!

"First strike" strategy was never about randomly incinerating cities. It was about destroying the "Enemies" ability to retaliate.

If you are trying to destroy a serious nuclear grade bunker, accuracy is crucial. Even with a megaton range weapon. 100M off target, (Even 50M) will fail to do the job.

Man of Honour
Last couple of days or so there has been some minor coronal holes geo-effective with minor storming/enhancement which might be causing some interference - I notice my mobile signals in general have been poor over that time especially around late evening.

Back
Top Bottom