Has my motherboard/CPU/PSU gone?

Associate
I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

A few days ago I turned on PC and it said the system date settings were wrong. I decided to load the default values. Then two days ago I started it and it said the same message, I loaded default values then it said "missing operating system". I figured the CMOS battery needed replacing.

I replaced this, now I dont get any signal on the monitor. Changed graphics cards, still no signal.

I have now removed everything except mobo, CPU and PSU and when I turned on the machine I hear no beep.

My fans still work- so does this mean it's the mobo or CPU and is there a way (without lots of spare parts) to tell which one?

EDIT The green light on the mobo is turned on??

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

A few days ago I turned on PC and it said the system date settings were wrong. I decided to load the default values. Then two days ago I started it and it said the same message, I loaded default values then it said "missing operating system". I figured the CMOS battery needed replacing.

I replaced this, now I dont get any signal on the monitor. Changed graphics cards, still no signal.

I have now removed everything except mobo, CPU and PSU and when I turned on the machine I hear no beep.

My fans still work- so does this mean it's the mobo or CPU and is there a way (without lots of spare parts) to tell which one?

Thanks

Check for anything shorting (such as any unused molex connectors touching anything on the mobo - it could happen!)? Also check the pins in the PCIe slot (or other slots you're using) have not bent... I've seen his happen :rolleyes:. I would have thought it was the battery too! Have you tried resetting the CMOS via jumpers?

EDIT... Too many edits! I have my head up my arse at the moment :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Check for anything shorting (such as any unused molex connectors touching anything on the mobo - it could happen!)? Also check the pins in the PCIe slot (or other slots you're using) have not bent... I've seent his happen :rolleyes:. I would have thought it was the battery too! Have you tried resetting the CMOS via jumpers?
There's nothing immediately obvious.

Would the green mobo light be on if it had blown?

Associate
OP
Check for anything shorting (such as any unused molex connectors touching anything on the mobo - it could happen!)? Also check the pins in the PCIe slot (or other slots you're using) have not bent... I've seen his happen :rolleyes:. I would have thought it was the battery too! Have you tried resetting the CMOS via jumpers?

EDIT... Too many edits! I have my head up my arse at the moment :D
I was only using one PCI-E for the graphics card. I have two gcards and neither worked.

Its the fact the computer won't beep which is worrying me.

I'm not too sure how to use jumped to reset the CMOS, I removed the battery and turned it on.

btw this is all without any RAM inserted. Just the PSU, CPU and mobo.

Associate
There's nothing immediately obvious.

Would the green mobo light be on if it had blown?

If there's power going to it then it could still light up, but it doesn't necessarily mean the mobo is working.... Did you try resetting the CMOS/BIOS using the jumper pins on the motherboard?

btw this is all without any RAM inserted. Just the PSU, CPU and mobo.

Try it again with RAM inserted... I know my motherboard won't POST without any RAM.

Associate
I'm not too sure how to use jumped to reset the CMOS, I removed the battery and turned it on

Whoops, missed this bit (been a long day :D). There should be 3 pins (usually near the battery) with a plastic tab/jumper covering pins 1&2... You need to move the jumper to pins 2&3 (with the power off), wait a few seconds and then move the jumper back to pins 1&2 ;)

Associate
OP
If there's power going to it then it could still light up, but it doesn't necessarily mean the mobo is working.... Did you try resetting the CMOS/BIOS using the jumper pins on the motherboard?

Try it again with RAM inserted... I know my motherboard won't POST without any RAM.
I just inserted some ram and it works!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

It was either a short circuit or something, I must have cleared it but because I didnt have any ram it I didnt realise it!

I just got the error message about default values and I need to enter the bios. Just update the time and run? I'll slowly add more ram.

Associate
I just inserted some ram and it works!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

It was either a short circuit or something, I must have cleared it but because I didnt have any ram it I didnt realise it!

I just got the error message about default values and I need to enter the bios. Just update the time and run? I'll slowly add more ram.

It could be that your board needs RAM inserted to boot (i know mine does)... Insert the correct date & time and it should hopefully be good to go :). Not exactly sure what went wrong in the first place, but could have been a short somewhere? Or maybe something just worked itself loose?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom