1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have improvements in vetinary medicine priced poor people out of pet ownership?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Orionaut, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

What I find interesting is people will go ah fluffy bunny and then would expect people to spend a fortune keeping it alive (normally from something that would naturally kill it anyway) yet often said same people would happily support no migrants or refugees being allowed into the UK.
    They would literally value the life of a fluffy bunny above a human.

2. 200sols

Wise Guy

That is a totally different issue really and a good attempt at derailing this thread, there is no issue with a certain number of migrants or refugees coming in but we cant just open the doors for everyone. I certainly do not support those 'refugees' fleeing France for the UK....

3. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Well it wasn't directed at you, it was a point in general. Based on observation.

However you do seem to fit nicely into the mold then, so I can see why you were triggered by my pointing out the seeming valuing of animal life over that of other humans.

To me its about the same level of hypocrisy as the Republicans who are so anti abortion under any circumstances then will happily see a child living in poverty.

4. 200sols

Wise Guy

I wasn't 'triggered' by anything, you have just come in to bait the thread and turn it into another one of your left vs right debates. Nobody has mentioned valuing animal life over humans (except you) the comments arose from somebody seemingly having such little value for animal life.

5. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Your fine to have your own opinion as am I.
    I was quite clear I thought about my issue.

I also find some of the same people, well people in general really are far too hung up on what animal it is and if its cute whilst happily munching down on a beef burger.

I am allowed to keep rabbits on my allotment for food. Are the ones I could keep somehow different to a pet rabbit? Would i spend £50 on a vets bill for said "food rabbits" which would make it pretty pointless keeping them as I could buy rabbit from a butchers cheaper.

Personally I disagree with the OP point. No one is forced to pay vets bills, but you have to accept if not doing so that the life of the animal is going to be significantly shorter, just as human life was before we mastered medicine.
    However no one is forced to keep said animals alive as they have no rights in effect.
    My vets often operates on animals that the owners cannot afford to pay for. In some cases he only does so on agreement they will hand over ownership. The cattery we use have about 25 of their own, a good proportion come from this vet, who has saved the animal on those conditions.

We did have a conversation in regards insurance for our cat, but decided not to. When ever we get a large bill its discounted as we have no insurance. The main reason was given as, we pay immediately and its job done. The insurance companies create a whole load more admin for the vets, asking for extra info, proof, haggling over the price of items etc. The drugs are completely unsubsidised as well obviously, people think drugs are cheap, they are not

6. Orionaut

Soldato

Shock as many (Most even) people care more about members of their own Household/Family than strangers on the other side of the planet!

:rolleyes: :p

7. SPG

Soldato

Its a pet, yes it painfull when they go, very easy to get another one.

Of course its all relative would i put a pet down for a broken leg no i wouldnt. Would i put it down if got diagnosed cancer or something. Yes i would. Marketing had played on our psyche bigtime.

8. Destination

Capodecina

Shame we can't price people out of having children and save the world while we're at it.....
    Oh wait, for some reason those with money have less, and those without have more.
    Can someone explain that to me?
    Same with pets.

9. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Because when you're rich, kids get in the way of fulfilment (you have loads of options to give your life meaning), but when you're poor your options for self-actualisation are much more limited: 'having kids' rises to the top.

10. Roar87

Soldato

I have a responsibility to look after my Rabbits because I chose to adopt them, I don't have a responsibility for every Adult Human on the planet.

11. Evangelion

Capodecina

Perhaps, but surely that's a good thing? Pets are a luxury item, and they suffer when their owners can't care for them properly.

Pricing poor people out of pet ownership is just excellent on so many levels.