Have you ever built your own bike or custom?

Associate
Just want to hear any opinions to building your own bike, it probably sounds harder than it is. Also anyone ever bought parts from planet X? Their frames are so insanely cheap compared to other competitors.

Recommended places appreciated too! Or info :)

Soldato
Yes, several times.
It's easy to do but more expensive than buying a complete bike.

I've also bought loads of stuff from PlanetX, including full bikes. They are quite slow to deliver and charge more for delivery than the competitors so it's only worthwhile if you're buying a lot of stuff or getting a good price.

Associate
OP
Yes, several times.
It's easy to do but more expensive than buying a complete bike.

I've also bought loads of stuff from PlanetX, including full bikes. They are quite slow to deliver and charge more for delivery than the competitors so it's only worthwhile if you're buying a lot of stuff or getting a good price.
There's bikes I can customize, and swap out preferred parts. I'm considering getting a full bike from there. If I link you the build could you tell me if I'm doing the right thing? I'd appreciate it as I'm not that knowledgeable about parts, I just love to cycle

Soldato
Build my Colnago C60 myself. An enjoyable experience. and would recommend it. I could have it exactly how I wanted, amassed a bunch of tools and learnt a bit along the way too!

I bought my parts from a variety of places, Ribble, Wiggle, Evans, PlanetX.

Caporegime
I've built two and rebuilt one from the frame up. It's pretty easy if you've got the tools. You can get a toolkit that'll do the job for £30 or so. On top of that you might need a headset press, but quite a few online stores sell frames with the headset already fitted.

Soldato
It's been 20+ years since I bought a new complete bike. If you've already got a lot of stuff to reuse or are a very savvy blender of new and used bits it can go pretty cheaply. If not, an off the peg planet x or ribble is usually cheaper.

Soldato
Yep, stripped my Emonda ALR 5 back and stuck a load of upgrade blingy bits on :cool: Always nice to get to really know what it is you're riding around on and how it all works.

Soldato
My road bike came from PlanetX - price was cheaper if you built it yourself, so I did. Other then getting a wheel re-trued, I haven't need a bike shop for maintenance for years now - slowly build up a collection of tools and you are good. Park Tools and other websites have numerous videos how-tos for common tasks.

Associate
OP
I've built two and rebuilt one from the frame up. It's pretty easy if you've got the tools. You can get a toolkit that'll do the job for £30 or so. On top of that you might need a headset press, but quite a few online stores sell frames with the headset already fitted.
Everywhere I've looked the tools are expensive, do I look for a set ? I've got the tools to take a cassette off the back wheel, and Alan keys. Do you have a link?

Caporegime
Everywhere I've looked the tools are expensive, do I look for a set ? I've got the tools to take a cassette off the back wheel, and Alan keys. Do you have a link?
I have an older version of the IceToolz Essence kit. Planet X do a set under the Jobsworth brand which is pretty cheap and cheerful but should do the job.

Soldato
to build up, you only really need 4, 5 and 6 mm allen keys, a cassette tool (you only need the chainwhip for removal) and a tool to install the BB. Cable cutters are handy.

if your headset needs pressing it's worth paying a shop, the tool is thunderously expensive for what it is

Soldato
Built my own mountain bike a while back from planet x - just pray to god that nothing is wrong with the frame etc.

Had no end of issues with the frame arriving damaged, then returned, replaced and then about 8 weeks later, cracked rear chain stay. They accused me of riding beyond the limits of the bike (with absolutely ZERO proof), until I took to social media and complained.

Eventually replaced but I had to strip the entire bike down, send it to them, then rebuild it myself again.

Good fun building it up/spec it how I wanted but would never buy anything from planet X ever again.

Soldato
to build up, you only really need 4, 5 and 6 mm allen keys, a cassette tool (you only need the chainwhip for removal) and a tool to install the BB. Cable cutters are handy.

if your headset needs pressing it's worth paying a shop, the tool is thunderously expensive for what it is

It is one of the more expensive tools, and yes, for what it is, a threaded rod with two bolts on either end, its a lot. But you can pick one up for £40 ish. I've used mine for pressing bottom brackets too. Done the headset twice and a bottom bracket three times. So to save five trips to the LBS it is worth the £40 for me.

Associate
OP

I've found some videos and playlist online, but would you recommend a channel to follow from step one, tool checklist to how to look for the right parts? I'll probably be splashing out about £700 on parts

Associate
OP
Sorry about this guy's, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of technical talk, I know absolutely nothing about parts and will take a while to understand it all lol. But I'm really keen on learning!

Back
Top Bottom