1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you had any damage from Storm Arwen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Count Arthur Strong, 27 Nov 2021.

1. arknor

Caporegime

I've never seen it so bad in 21 years and other times they had the gusts on the weather reports at 90mph+ etc, yesterday was apparently only 65.

I've never seen so much damage around the bit where I live. I counted 5 trees either toppled or snapped in half the Y shaped ones, where one side just totally came off with even the trunk split in half vertically.

there's a massive connifer on the street in one part it's about as tall as a bus even on it's side.

saw loads of kingspan insulation stuff scattered around too, I guess it's from a roof

2. Salty22

Hitman

Its just rained consistently here all day (Lincolnshire)

3. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Some leaves were blown under the door.

4. uber soldat

Mobster

As long as nothing unexpected came through your letterbox you're good.

5. BUDFORCE

Mobster

Only reading this thread and seeing drama queens posting about a bit of wind.

6. Jokester

Don

It was the worst here since the Fish incident for sure. Plenty trees down, roofs off and a couple of folk killed.

7. GreatAuk

Mobster

I didn't really have any damage except one of my bird feeders got blown off its hook, that's about it really :p. Know someone whose kid's trampoline got blown from the back garden over his fence into his front garden, and there seem to have been various cars damaged by falling trees etc, a canal boat ended up across the canal when the front got blown free, but nothing too bad round here I don't think, and no one I know personally affected badly.

8. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Not much happening here in Auckland, New Zealand.

^ What is the 'Fish incident'? (apart from a great name for an indie guitar pop band I am soon to form)

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

Not really any damage around here I'm aware of - tree down further up my road the opposite way to where I usually go but was medium size and quickly cleared.

10. Hotwired

Sgarrista

Was some strong cold wind with some light rain to make sure you instantly regretted being out without a windproof jacket.

Some unimportant stuff fell over.

UK storms :p

11. wez130

Capodecina

Michael Fish, where he famously dismissed a hurricane in UK, 1987.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-24713504

As above, nothing to report here in Auckland, just 26 degrees and sunshine in the middle of spring :D

(Stay safe UK)

12. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

He managed to get the di-lithium crystals back online yesterday evening.

13. mattyprice4004

Soldato

I’m also about 1 mile north of Southport, but my ridge is in tact :p
    Shame I didn’t see this sooner as I have a 2m x 2m piece of plywood in the garage and could have helped secure the window.

What a small world it is! We’re just by the pumping station in Banks.

14. Jono8

Caporegime

A plastic pot with a small conifer fell over.

Had to go all the way onto my patio and stand it back up again FFS.

15. builder22

Mobster

dammit, was hoping it would be something like fish ending up on the street due to the high winds

16. fatbatman

Gangster

Very small world. Round the corner from you in Hesketh Bank. My bins got knocked over.

Say hello to Ralph's wife for me.

17. LeeUK

Soldato

If I had to pay £1000 to have a fallen tree cleared I think I'll be depressed for weeks unless I know the insurance would cover it. :(

18. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Oh that, it wan't anything like that here just very windy other than that no damage even the local paper hasn't reported any incidents. The "fish" incindent that was... something else indeed still got vivid memories of that.

Worst issue is the perishing cold it being only a few degrees above freezing and the strong wind its absolutely freezing in here woke up in the middle of the night freezing cold had to put some extra layers on that hasn't happened in a long time

19. Chris Wilson

Soldato

In theory they should cover this, but who knows? The wife took photos of the two big oaks, both well over 100 years old, blocking the lane, and will contact them tomorrow, as no doubt thousands of others will.

They had to be shifted rapidly, it is other only vehicular access to three houses, and the tree man had already got work booked to January with calls incoming as I spoke to him, so "negotiation" wasn't an option. One of the neighbours had apparently resigned himself to having his vehicles blocked in for a few days, being a weekend and was obviously grateful we could get the job underway literally immediately. Whilst being "depressed for weeks" is not something I could honestly claim over such an unexpected cost, I would of course still like it in my pocket :)

20. FBi7

Wise Guy

This requires further explanation :D:cry:

No damage here, thankfully. A couple of houses in the street lost fences, roof tiles, etc. Dozens of trees down in the woods nearby. We did acquire someone else's patio furniture covers. I could feel the house moving though; a tad disconcerting. :eek: