Have you had any damage from Storm Arwen?

Soldato
Few fixings snapped on the tarp roof of the chicken coop (now replaced with zip ties) and a few shingle sheets come off / lose on the new gazebo (replaced / tacked back down) and a few potted plants blown over.

Three short power cuts last night early doors (about 6.00pm) but some of the neighbouring villages had some lengthy outages

We were lucky especially as we are quite exposed, quite a few trees / fences down in the area after being out this - some sizeable trees at that but in the main seemed to have missed the worst of it

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My daughter’s 10ft trampoline that was on the garden blew over the garden wall and knocked over a set of table and chairs on the patio.

Thankfully I heard it, so was able to dash out and sort out the carnage before things got too mental.

Good job really as the table it knocked over is one of those glass-topped jobs and the glass was resting edge-down on the block work. I guess another hour or so and it would have gone boom which would have made cleanup a right mess :o

Associate
Lost 80% of the ridge tiles, some fell onto the extension roof and smashed most of the tiles on there.

One rouge tile went through next doors car window screen. Surprisingly our trampoline hasn't budged and is undamaged.

Neighbor lost a few corrugated roof sheets off his garage.

House 5 doors down caught fire.

Soldato
One slate tile, one downspout came off, gazebo roof covering hot tub ripped to pieces and garden furniture everywhere. Not too bad considering, Shropshire got a real hammering last night.

sorted the downspout and a roofer is coming around tmw to replace slate.

gazebo is binned, I’m building an 8m x 4m timber one to replace it anyway

Soldato
My daughter’s 10ft trampoline that was on the garden blew over the garden wall and knocked over a set of table and chairs on the patio.

Thankfully I heard it, so was able to dash out and sort out the carnage before things got too mental.

Good job really as the table it knocked over is one of those glass-topped jobs and the glass was resting edge-down on the block work. I guess another hour or so and it would have gone boom which would have made cleanup a right mess :o

Those trampolines always seem to be a nightmare in a bit of gusty weather.

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm in Newcastle and it felt bad, thankfully the worst of it seems to be water that was blown up and under my roof tiles, so only a little damp on the kitchen roof to dry and paint over. Tiles are still all there thankfully.

Soldato
No damage, just a rare occasion of proper wind in my city.

Rule of thumb in Leicester, if it gets windy then it means the coastal areas, west and north have probably got massive gales.

It was just about enough to make my empty bin fall over to give you an idea how sheltered Leicester is from weather conditions.

Do now have proper cold temperatures for the first time since summer though, room temp dropped from 19C to 13C in 24 hours. Heating now used for first time since summer. Shows how important outside air movement is for cooler temperatures.

Last edited:
Soldato
Power out last last about 5pm and just up about 30mins ago.

whole town was out, a lot of travel disturbances with trees down on the main roads.

Soldato
No damage, just a rare occasion of proper wind in my city.

Rule of thumb in Leicester, if it gets windy then it means the coastal areas, west and north have probably got massive gales.

It was just about enough to make my empty bin fall over to give you an idea how sheltered Leicester is from weather conditions.

Do now have proper cold temperatures for the first time since summer though, room temp dropped from 19C to 13C in 24 hours. Heating now used for first time since summer. Shows how important outside air movement is for cooler temperatures.
Nothing much happened here in Hinckley.

Permabanned
6.30 AM this morning a phone call from the neighbours to say a huge oak of ours was down across their unadopted lane, trapping four households in to vehicular access. A cool thousand quid saw a local tree surgeon and a five man team with a crane clear it today as fire and ambulance would not have access otherwise. Photos on the wife's phone for a hopeful insurance claim. Fifteen trees down within my own boundary, cattle fence down, emu fence crushed but fairly escape proof until I can replace the weld mesh fencing and posts. A good minimum weeks full time work for my friend and I, but no people or animals hurt. A FEW photos, feeling tired just looking at them, and they are by far not the worst nor time consuming to clear...The joys of country living.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Associate
Nice photos @Chris Wilson , tree surgeons aren't cheap are they, good luck on the insurance claim.

We didn't have it that bad, a few large branches fallen and a bit of snow. Weirdly, the power cut affected my router when the power came back, lost all it's settings.

Permabanned
I had to get the professionals in to clear the lane, doing it myself would have taken ages, but all the stuff in the photos I'll tackle with my pal, we've done MUCH bigger stuff. Just got to take your time and be careful. Cutting them up is pretty easy, shifting it all is the killer... ;)

Back
Top Bottom