Having trouble deciding on new bike.

Caporegime
Hey guys.

So with summer comming I'm looking st getting a proper bike again. I've got a ratty 2012 250 ninja for commuting and after a bit of tidying up fun riding (small bikes are actuslly super fun for sport riding, if it wasnt s commuter I'd probbaly swap it for a new duke rc390 for fun).

But I want a big bike as a second bike for some touring/the motorway journey riding to York from Wales on a 250 in the rain ain't fun.

As its going to be for 2 up riding comfort power and safety are big points (And luggage options, as i have gear I can wear off bike but pilloon will be in over pants/jacket that need leaving behind).

Bikes in looking at

Z1000sx new model adds cornering abs as well as the tc test ride last years model and while great bike for 10k the seating position is too upright for me makes my back hurt. So while good I'm ruling it out.

H2sx now this is the bike in excited about, the black model is sexy as hell sat on it st the bike show and it feels good, but not sure how it is to ride. Standard fit hard panniers ah a good size and should take care of one helmet plus riding gear (second helmet have to go on the helmet lock though).
It is a lot of money at abour 16.5k with touring options. (Cases, heated grips, center stand crash bungs higher screen etc).

And it is pretty heavy at 250kg ish that's more than the balckbird i used to have but reviews say it carries the weight well and again cornering abs tc etc air safety.

Also cruise control

And super charger I know it shouldn't matter but it does :p

Seating position to me felt almost exacrly like my old vfr800 near perfect .

And finally a sexond hand but current model zzr1400 can be had for around 6k. Bit heavier than the h2 but lots of power comes with factory top box instead of pannier s but after market does exist.
Seating position feels great its far forward but so moulded to your body it felt perfect but again only at a stand still not rode one.

No cornering abs but norrmal abs and normal tc.

Any other recommendations for decent sport touring bikes?

I would get another vfr800 but tbh it was just a bit lacking in power.

And I would like tc/abs as its going to be two up so more weight and also its not just my skin being risked on long rides so rider aids are good.

I'm not set on kawasaki btw they just seem to be the manufacture bringing out the decent bieks in the sport touring category.

The h2sx is affordable but I'm just not sure it's sensible spending thst amount of cash on a bike jist because it's new.

Soldato
The sport touring market is dying a bit, everything is going adventure touring now rather than the long tourers like the k1300s, blackbird etc.

I'd suggest the KTM 1290 GT but that may be too upright, tbh if you want cornering abs and the h2sx is doable I'd go for that, so long as you'll be keeping it for a good few years. Let's face it, you're not going to be wanting more power! :D

Soldato
The sport touring market is dying a bit, everything is going adventure touring now rather than the long tourers like the k1300s, blackbird etc.

I'd suggest the KTM 1290 GT but that may be too upright, tbh if you want cornering abs and the h2sx is doable I'd go for that, so long as you'll be keeping it for a good few years. Let's face it, you're not going to be wanting more power! :D

I really like sports tourers, so as long as the market is dying, I'll get cheaper bikes! Hoorah! :D

Edit: Blimey. 3000 posts in 16 years.

Associate
Although you've mentioned the ZZR1400 have you not though about the GTR1400? I'm looking at adding one to munch up the miles (will be keeping my blackbird though as it's just far too much fun to hoon...)

Caporegime
OP
Gah hit back and lost my whole post.

@eddie101 what's the gtr1400 differmces?

I'm thinking some depreciation will be high might be more sensible getting an old vfr/blackbird/Sprint 1050/k1300s for the summer and picking up a summer ronly sexond hand sx before/during winter.

The Black bird was nice but it was a boat which is what I'm concerned about with the h2sx and the zzr1400 with thier 250+kg weights.

Reviews are sparse but seem to suggest handling on the h2 is good. @whyscotty how have you found them to ride?

It's not that the money is an issue its just I dont want to needlessly waste money for the 17k I could fill my garage with like a rc390, k1300s and a old commmuter and still have change spare:(

Soldato
Found it very easy to ride to be honest.
The torque just doesn't seem to stop and it pulls like it's trying to rip your arms off, gets up to silly speeds very quickly.
Handling wise it's good, very predictable.
Feels lighter than my SX even though it's heavier.
Turns in easier, better braking - you can also set how much engine braking you prefer.
Very comfy, even after just short of 200 miles.(I'm 6-2)
Cruise control, QS and blipper all worked flawlessly(In my limited experience)
All in all it's a hell of a lot better bike, then it should for the price.
Will I get one? - Watch this space :D

Caporegime
OP
Found it very easy to ride to be honest.
The torque just doesn't seem to stop and it pulls like it's trying to rip your arms off, gets up to silly speeds very quickly.
Handling wise it's good, very predictable.
Feels lighter than my SX even though it's heavier.
Turns in easier, better braking - you can also set how much engine braking you prefer.
Very comfy, even after just short of 200 miles.(I'm 6-2)
Cruise control, QS and blipper all worked flawlessly(In my limited experience)
All in all it's a hell of a lot better bike, then it should for the price.
Will I get one? - Watch this space :D

Are they demo bikes for a garage?

If so Wigan isnt too far if your doing test rides :p

Caporegime
OP
Sensible brain is saying a sprint 1050 gt is probbaly the best bet and let the g2sx depreciate a bit till next year

Associate
Gah hit back and lost my whole post.

@eddie101 what's the gtr1400 differmces?

As far as I'm aware the GTR engine is a detuned zzr1400 (i could be wrong), that said it is still around 150bhp, bike is shaft driven and is setup towards two's up touring. More relaxed riding position and better wind protection too.

Caporegime
It does state at the bottom of the ad that all road legal bikes from that seller come with warranty, dunno if that's the original manufacturer warranty or not though. Give them a ring.

Epic bike though!

Back
Top Bottom