Hazro HZ30W - Strengths and weaknesses

Soldato
There has been some call for a separate thread for the Hazro HZ30W, which has recently come back into stock at OcUK at a very attractive price. This thread is for discussing the various strengths and weaknesses of the monitor, and for those who own one to help those considering buying one to make an informed decision. See also the big Hazro thread here.

As many of you will know, the Hazro HZ30W is a 30" screen featuring an S-IPS panel, available at a much reduced cost relative to other 30" screens. The screen has only the most basic features in order to keep the end cost low. The basic principle is that advanced configuration of colours and other standard options are readily available through software, and so including them in the OSD is be somewhat redundant.

The screen can be bought from OcUK here. Also, for a review look here

The screen is wide gamut (92%), with a 2560*1600 resolution. The input lag is low for an S-IPS screen; at 7.5ms it is better than many TN panels. Also, the black point is reasonably good for an S-IPS panel (subjectively, box 5 and onwards are visible in this test).

hz30W.jpg

I recieved one of these screens recently, and my initial impressions are fairly positive.

*** First off the good points:

The colour reproduction is excellent. Coming from a TN panel I was expecting an improvement, but the HZ30W is in another league. I was also prepared for unrealistic colors, owing to the 92% NTSC gamut, but this does not seem to be the case. The colours look vibrant, without seeming unrealistic (at least to my eye).

I'm generally very sensitive to input lag, and have not been able to detect any lag whatsoever with this screen, even in fast paced FPS games. So, in this regard the monitor lives up to its billing.

As far as response times go, I have not noticed any ghosting or other adverse effects. The monitor performed well in this regard in the TFT central review (despite its relatively high stated response time of 12ms), and this is reflected in my testing. I also tested the monitor in a couple of games, with v-sync off. The visibility of tearing was minimal, certainly no worse than with my 2ms-response TN panel. If anything, this screen offers a small improvement (although of course enabling vsync is still going to be the best option, if your framerate is high enough).

There was some suggestion in the TFT central review that such a large, high-resolution screen could lead to an apparent loss of quality when watching high- and standard-def DVDs in fullscreen mode. This is not something I would agree with. Of course, viewing a standard-res DVD close up is going to reveal the inherent lack of quality (due to low output resolution), but I certainly don't feel this is highlighted by the screen. Watching DVDs at a comfortable distance is a good experience with the Hazro.

The build quality is generally high. The aluminium frame is quite sturdy and (to my eyes) elegant.

*** Now the not so good:

First, I must mention the stand. There is no vertical hight adjustment, and for me the screen stands about 10 - 15cm too low. I think I will end up raising the monitor off the desk slightly. This being said, I am quite tall and have a relatively long body, so you might find it sits at the right height for you.

Another point of note is that the screen comes with only a single DVI input (although you will likely know this already from the reviews). For me this is no issue, as I intend to use it purely as a PC monitor, but those looking for it to double as an HDTV might perhaps require more flexible input options.

NOTE: If you use windows XP, then do yourself a favour and download the drivers for the Dell3007 in order to get 2560*1600 resolution in games in XP. click here.

In conclusion; this is an excellent monitor with a pricetag which is unmatched for a 30" screen. The picture quality is top notch, with clear text and vibrant colours. For the price, you can't do better. Excellent buy IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
With the price-tag, I would love to order two of these right now :)

Since I like dual screen over a single one (I organise my windows better this way), I can only run both of them at maximum 1920*1200 (I have 8800GTX, im not sure if it can run two monitors at 2560*1600).

Is it really a bad idea to run 1920*1200, can anybody provide a photo of this or clarify if there blurring of text etc?

Does the 30" have the same issues as other ones, such as the 26 or 24? Or is it the best out of the bunch?

Soldato
OP
Is it really a bad idea to run 1920*1200, can anybody provide a photo of this or clarify if there blurring of text etc?

Does the 30" have the same issues as other ones, such as the 26 or 24? Or is it the best out of the bunch?

As far as I know, the 30" doesn't have any of the issues that the 24" and 26" screens have been suffering from ('banding', 'snow' etc).

As for the 1920*1200 resolution, you really don't want to be running in this resolution for desktop work. The interpolation makes the text pretty fuzzy. This is a feature of all LCDs though, and nothing to do with the Hazro. You can get away with it for games and for pictures, although it isn't ideal, but for text you really need to stick to the native res.

Associate
thanks for the review - I play games at 2560x1600 on HZ30wb - no probs at all (nvidia 8800GTX). I run Vista and since m away, I can't check ** theory about the XP resolution issue. But all in all, I agree - what a fab monitor!!!

Associate
The limiting factor is the 7.92 Gbit/s bandwidth of Dual-Link DVI (which determines the limits of the refresh rate and resolution).
If you have to Dual-Link DVI ports, then you can happily run two 2560x1600 screens.

Associate
The limiting factor is the 7.92 Gbit/s bandwidth of Dual-Link DVI (which determines the limits of the refresh rate and resolution).
If you have to Dual-Link DVI ports, then you can happily run two 2560x1600 screens.

Oh my gosh, I just googled this too and realised I can run two 30"'s!

*rushes off to OC store*

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I have a DELL 3007WFP which I think is awsome and having seen this Hazro I know it has the same panel but believe its the HC version as colours and brightness are both better on the Hazro.

In regards to resolution issues never had an issue with Hazro or DELL, 2560x1200 works in both windows and games, but again I am on Vista.

To put it bluntly your basically getting a DELL 3007WFP-HC in a fancy aluminum finish for half the price.

However be warned its a one of deal, once sold they are gone, we got these in for an XMAS deal and Hazro can no longer get these panels any more and due to exchange rate dropping massively from when we originally put this order in our re-buy has increased by nearly £200 so yes they are indeed a cracking bargain. :)

Soldato
OP
Hi there
In regards to resolution issues never had an issue with Hazro or DELL, 2560x1200 works in both windows and games, but again I am on Vista.

Yeah, I just tried left 4 dead in vista 64, and there was no problem. 2560 was available where it wasn't in XP. I'll check a couple of other games to make sure it's actually an XP issue, and then I'll write to Hazro and see what they make of it.

Associate
Has anyone tried playing HD content (via blueray player or other) with the Hazro's dvi port?

Would anyone say that the dell 3008 panel is suprior to 3007? Is Hazro producing these prices by using an older discontinued range of panels?

OcUK Staff
Yeah, I just tried left 4 dead in vista 64, and there was no problem. 2560 was available where it wasn't in XP. I'll check a couple of other games to make sure it's actually an XP issue, and then I'll write to Hazro and see what they make of it.

Hi there

I can tell you for sure your issue is software based, nothing wrong with the monitor.

The issue will be one of the following:-
1. Windows XP
2. Graphics Card (No doubt the drivers)
3. Monitor driver (Should not need one but XP may require so best advice is get hold of the DELL 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC driver.

Soldato
OP
Hi there

I can tell you for sure your issue is software based, nothing wrong with the monitor.

The issue will be one of the following:-
1. Windows XP
2. Graphics Card (No doubt the drivers)
3. Monitor driver (Should not need one but XP may require so best advice is get hold of the DELL 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC driver.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's a windows XP issue now. I suspect that most people who would buy a 30" monitor are using vista already, but I guess I'm a bit of an OS luddite :p

I can confirm that the full native 2560*1600 resolution works fine in every game I've tested in Vista, including: L4D, HL2, supreme commander, fallout3. The option doesn't appear in crysis, but can be forced (unlike in XP). Not that anyone would want to run 2560 in crysis anyway! I'll try the dell drivers and see if it helps at all in XP.

I'd like to reiterate: This monitor represents excellent value for money; you won't find a 30" screen for even close to this price anywhere else. I'm very pleased with the screen, and it has no hardware-based issues whatsoever. It's a very high quality piece. I'd recommend it to anyone who would like a 30" screen but thought they couldn't afford one.

*** edit - I tried the Dell 3007 drivers for XP, and they fix the issue entirely :D I've updated the original post to reflect this. Thanks for the suggestion, gibbo!

Last edited:
Associate
My order on the hz30w has just shipped. Now for the computer upgrade so that i can run it at the native res... :)
It gives me a good reason to do the upgrade now instead of waiting.

OcUK Staff
Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's a windows XP issue now. I suspect that most people who would buy a 30" monitor are using vista already, but I guess I'm a bit of an OS luddite :p

I can confirm that the full native 2560*1600 resolution works fine in every game I've tested in Vista, including: L4D, HL2, supreme commander, fallout3. The option doesn't appear in crysis, but can be forced (unlike in XP). Not that anyone would want to run 2560 in crysis anyway! I'll try the dell drivers and see if it helps at all in XP.

I'd like to reiterate: This monitor represents excellent value for money; you won't find a 30" screen for even close to this price anywhere else. I'm very pleased with the screen, and it has no hardware-based issues whatsoever. It's a very high quality piece. I'd recommend it to anyone who would like a 30" screen but thought they couldn't afford one.

*** edit - I tried the Dell 3007 drivers for XP, and they fix the issue entirely :D I've updated the original post to reflect this. Thanks for the suggestion, gibbo!

Hi there

Glad the suggestion worked, now enjoy, these are selling good for us but as word gets about they are basically a DELL 3007WFP-HC for pretty much half price they will fly out. :)

Back
Top Bottom