• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD3000...130% overclocking anyone?

Soldato
Well, basically yesterday I swapped the monitors at my home with my parents', but found out that I had no DVI to VGA adapter, so I couldn't use my 5850 :D

And so for the first time ever, I used the onboard HD3000 of the i5 2500K since the motherboard has VGA port. I know HD3000 have very tiny gaming power, but out of curiousity I did a run on Left4Dead 2.

I know Left4Dead 2 is far some being a demanding game, but I thought it would be good representation for games that the more casual gamers play (the odds Counter-Strike, COD or other source games etc), rather than the AAA latest, badest FPS games that people play.

So start right away on 1680 res with no AA, effect at low, filtering at Trilinear, everything else at highest...and as expected, it was too much for the HD3000 and the frame rate was between the mid 10s ~ high 20s. Then I thought...could I overclock the HD3000? Would I get more performance if I did?

A few googles later, I found that there are already people attempted it, and to my surprise, people where saying they were able to overclock their HD3000 core clock to 1950MHz coming from the stock clock of 850MHz! So decided to quickly give it a go. Overclocking the HD3000 was easy, all I had to do was go into bios, and set the manual frequency of the iGPU to 1950MHz (130% overclock!). Opened Heaven Bench and ran in at 1280x720 0xAA dx9, and got average of 15fps and max 30fps. I didn't run Heaven for the result, but more about testing the stablity of the overclock, which no driver crash or PC freeze occured.

So I went back to try Left4Dead 2 again with same graphic settings as before, and frame rate went from what previously mentioned, to 30fps~60fps+! Dropped the res down to 1366, and the frame rate became constant 45fps~75fps.

I decided to give Guild Wars 2 a go as well. I use 1366 res, medium graphic settings, and NativeSampling, high-res texture disabled, and I managed pretty much a constant 28-32fps in the open field, and even in the LionArch town/city (which is known to be quite hard on graphic and CPU alike), the frame rate only dipped down to 20-22fps at the lowest.

So basically this got me thinking...for laptop owners that doesn't have dedicated gaming card nor a AMD APU, could they do the same with their HD3000 graphic and allowing them to do some casual gaming at 1366 res?

Bottomline is while the Intel HD graphic is never gonna be comparable to the AMD Trinity, but I have to say I'm still rather impressed with what the HD3000 is capable of, after a whopping 130% overclock! Anyway it's has been a fun experiment. Would like to hear what you guys think...

Last edited:
Soldato
I took out my 6850 in the weekends to sell it, so i used the onboard HD4000 and it played CS:S perfectly, really impressed by it, going to try with FIFA and if it can play that then I think I will continue using it until the AMD 8000 series comes out. The fact that you can overclock it makes it even better.

Soldato
OP
Did it have much affect on the temps?

Nice find though.
Not much...it's pretty much as high as the CPU cores themselves. GPU-z reported 60C max for the GPU and around 20W power usage on the GPU itself. You have to bare in mind that we do tend to have a fairly decent cooler on the CPU itself :p

However, for the IvyBridge though the situation might be worse, considering the TIM issue...but don't think there would be much problem since the iGPU don't really need much extra voltage for overclocking...it get the voltage from the vcore as well I believe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will have to double check but I don't think my laptop has an option to overclock the IGP in the bios (It's i7 2670QM with HD3000/GT635m Optimus).

It is certainly and interesting area though. It does make me wonder whether a similar overclock on an HD4000 coupled with faster DDR3 memory could at least match Llano?

Associate
I'm considering giving this a go (before I jump and get a gfx card in the next few weeks).... but will prob only take it to 1500mhz as I don't have hardcore cooler....

Can I ask -

Did you increase the DVID voltage for this?
Any increase to the IGD Frame buffer size?

Back
Top Bottom