HDD disappearing, losing power?

Soldato
I've been trying to help a friend with a problem with their computer. They got there computer from a competitor but since they received it the boot hdd has been disappearing causing the system to boot straight into bios.

First time I went round I checked the sata power cable as the drive feels dead to touch. Unplugged and plugged back in and working. Though after I had gone they switched off the PC and next time they turn on the same issue occurred.

Went round of again earlier today. Unplugged and plugged back in again to get his working, tested for errors and all fine. Tried a different sata power cable and sata port on the mb. Switched off and on numerous times and all seemed fine. Then about 4 hours after I was there I get a message saying the same issue is happening again.

Specs are:

i5 8400
Asus Prime H310m-k
8gb Corsair Vengeance
Nvidia 1050
1tb Seagate Barracuda hdd.

When they returned the system to where they bought it the company said they found no errors and also refused to offer them a refund as its a custom built system even though it hasn't worked since they got it.

Any advice would be helpful. Going back tomorrow to for a more thorough inspection.

Soldato
OP
I haven't tried a different battery but it's not losing boot preferences as the drive doesn't show at all. I have tried different cables from the psu. Forgot to say above that it's a Corsair psu, forget the model.

Going to try a different drive, sata cable etc tomorrow.

Soldato
How does the drive behave in another PC or with a different PSU?

My two first thoughts are that either the PSU or HDD is faulty. Less likely to be faulty, but something to consider, is the motherboard.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's what I'll thinking also. When the drive isn't detected the drives feels like its got no power, can't feel a slight vibration when you touch it. Seatools doesn't report any errors when the drive works so I guess it's a psu or sata power port on the hdd issue.

Also is the company right in saying that they don't have to issue a refund cos the system was custom built? My refund reported the issue to them soon as she received the pc. Just seems wrong to me.

Back
Top Bottom