• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HDMI Audio + Analogue from GT 430

Associate
Hi All

I've had a search through the forum but haven't been able to spot the answer to this question so I hope someone can help.

I have just upgraded my system to an ASRock X79 mobo, i7 3820 with 16Gb Ram. I've currently got my old 8600GT still in there. I did notice that I've quite a few busted caps on the 8600 so I think this might accelerate my purchase of a new card. I was going to hang on for Adobe CS6 and the next gen of nvidia cards to see how the whole CUDA thing plays out a bit more, but now thinking I might see if I can get something cheap to put me on.

I don't game on my machine, it is primarily been upgraded due to increasingly complex photoshop work and running lightroom.

I've been looking at the current GT 430. It has double the CUDA cores of the 520 which sounds useful to me. The one thing I'd like to be able to do is be able to connect it to my home cinema which is in the same room. I've got a HDMI cable already run from the computer position to my onkyo 606 but currently don't have a HDMI out.

Question: Can I have HDMI audio that'll go to the amp via the HDMI connector , but also be able to use the mobo onboard sound to have my headphones for normal computer work and feed my monitor from the DVI connector?

Anyone any comments or experience of a similar situation?

Many thanks
Eric

Associate
Yes you can but when using your headphones you will have to set the mobo sound as default and then when using the hdmi audio you will need to set that as default or in the media player you use set the sound output device in there

Associate
OP
That's great, thanks. Sorry for the late reply, the email notification appears to go to an old email address that I don't often monitor. I'll get that updated.

Many thanks
Eric

Back
Top Bottom