HDMI (no signal) problem with new build PC and Viewsonic VX4380-4k IPS monitor

Associate
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the 'Monitors' or 'GPU' thread.

I've just completed a new build with following spec:
Corsair TX650M power supply
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 AM4 CPU
Intel 660p series 1Tb M.2 SSD
Gigabyte DDR4 16Gb (2 x 8Gb) 2666 MHz RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 ti GPU
Windows 10 Pro

I was able to build this, boot to BIOS and install Windows 10 pro using a Philips monitor from my main PC (via HDMI).
However, the new PC has been built to replace an elderly PC that I use with a Viewsonic VX4380 monitor, and this is where I have encountered my problem. I have tried connecting the new PC to both HDMI ports on the monitor, but with both ports I get a 'No signal' message on the monitor when I try to boot up the new PC.

Whenever I boot up my old PC (using an old Radeon card) and the same HDMI cable, I get a perfect signal on the Viewsonic monitor.

Can anyone suggest why I get a perfect signal on the Viewsonic monitor using my old PC, but no signal from my new build (with GeForce GTX 1050ti card) with the same HDMI cable, when the new build PC works perfectly via HDMI with my other monitor (Philips BDM 3270).

I'm struggling to come up with any ideas. Any help would be much appreciated.

Associate
OP
Possibly, but I don't have a DP cable at the moment.

I had assumed that if my HDMI cable gives a perfect signal to the Viewsonic monitor with my old PC, then the problem is unlikely to be the cable - is that an incorrect assumption? However, I will try another cable just to be sure, but it will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

Permabanned
I was thinking it was to do with bandwidth and the newer GPU being picky about cables, I would advise you buy a decent DP cable as IMO > DP for Monitors and HDMI for TV's more so if your using G-Sync and high HZ panels.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi b00merang69,

It turns out that the issue was related to the HDMI cable. I swapped the my two HDMI cables around and all of my PC/monitors are now functioning perfectly. The new build (which now uses the HDMI cable from my main system) delivers a perfect signal to the HDMI ports on my Viewsonic VX4380 monitor, and the HDMI cable which would not work with the Viewsonic monitor works perfectly well with the Philips monitor on my main system.

I have no idea why this should be the case. The HDMI cable that 'caused' the problem and which works perfectly well with my Philips monitor is certified for 4K (HDMI 2.0).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion because it has resolved my problem.

Back
Top Bottom