HDMI out on Virgin Tivo box - getting picture on DVI-D monitor?

Soldato
Hello, I have a recently acquired Virgin TiVo box which I don't used directly but use a local monitor to check recording set up.

Previously I had a non-TiVo box with a SCART output and used this via a DVD/HDD recorder / component output.

Now that I have the TiVo box I don't need the DVD / HDD recorder but I do have an old DVI-D monitor which I can use. This works fine on a PC via DVI-D and a Raspberry pi via an HDMI lead and a HDMI - DVI-D converter.

When I try this on the TiVo box it only partially works. I get the box-generated parts of the picture (lines, text, TV guide BUT I don't get the actual TV picture!

Does anybody know if I can use a DVI-D monitor on a TiVo box? Thanks, Mel

Soldato
you can probbaly buy a hdmi splitter <£30, that (inadvertantly) strips hdcp

is it a virgin 4K/V6 box ? if so it would be pushing hdcp 2.2 which an older monitor may not have ?

Soldato
OP
you can probbaly buy a hdmi splitter <£30, that (inadvertantly) strips hdcp

is it a virgin 4K/V6 box ? if so it would be pushing hdcp 2.2 which an older monitor may not have ?

Virgin box - V6- no -just a TiV0. HDMI splitter seems a good idea - do they all strip HDCP? I suppose if I bought one down the road (Mmmmm) I could try it and take it back if still no picture?

Thanks.

Soldato
hdmi to dvi cables support hdcp so I'm not sure the issue is that, might be worth checking the monitor can display an interlaced image as those TiVo's output in 1080i rather than p and being a monitor I'm sure it only has progressive in mind but I could be wrong.

You could rule this out but telling the TiVo to output in 720p rather than 1080i.

Soldato
OP
hdmi to dvi cables support hdcp so I'm not sure the issue is that, might be worth checking the monitor can display an interlaced image as those TiVo's output in 1080i rather than p and being a monitor I'm sure it only has progressive in mind but I could be wrong.

You could rule this out but telling the TiVo to output in 720p rather than 1080i.

Will try that at weekend - thanks, Mel

Caporegime
Daft question possibly, but do you have a Virgin subscription ?

AFAIK Tivo will not display anything unless plugged into active subscribed cable connection.

Soldato
Daft question possibly, but do you have a Virgin subscription ?

AFAIK Tivo will not display anything unless plugged into active subscribed cable connection.

This.

If you're getting the GUI there is nothing wrong with the monitor/connection, the issue is elsewhere.

If you're not able to tune any channels you should get Virgin to take a look, their engineer visits are free. Might just be a broken box, which they will also replace for free.

If you don't have a subscription and viewing card I highly doubt you will be able to tune anything.

As far as I know, even the Free-to-Air channels like BBC are encrypted on Cable.

Back in the days of analogue cable you could plug the Coax cable directly into TVs and tune a lot of premium channels for free. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This.

If you're getting the GUI there is nothing wrong with the monitor/connection, the issue is elsewhere.

If you're not able to tune any channels you should get Virgin to take a look, their engineer visits are free. Might just be a broken box, which they will also replace for free.

If you don't have a subscription and viewing card I highly doubt you will be able to tune anything.

As far as I know, even the Free-to-Air channels like BBC are encrypted on Cable.

Back in the days of analogue cable you could plug the Coax cable directly into TVs and tune a lot of premium channels for free. ;)

I do have a subscription and the TiVo works on HDMI to a "proper" TV and also via SCART / composite output and can view all channels. I'm just too tight to buy another TV for a location we don't watch it much and saw a use for an old DVI-D monitor!

Soldato
OP
I do have a subscription and the TiVo works on HDMI to a "proper" TV and also via SCART / composite output and can view all channels. I'm just too tight to buy another TV for a location we don't watch it much and saw a use for an old DVI-D monitor!

Soldato

i know without a viewing card you can still get the basic channels such as bbc1/2, itv, channel 4/5 and afew others

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom