He can't say I didn't warn him...

Soldato
Is nothing more than a trackpad that supports multi touch, which hasn't been unique to Apple for years. The only thing that stands the trackpad out against the rest is the software. I absolutely hate having to go back and use Windows laptops because of the trackpad. Not because the trackpad is bad, but because the software is. Even with multi touch and gestures, they don't feel as good as OS X.

If I have to use a Laptop, which is a rare event and which I consider to be a punishment (irrespective of manufacturer) the first thing I do is connect a mouse. I simply hate track pads touch pads etc. wife's the same, she won't even press the start button unless a mouse is available.

Soldato
Brian8bit says..... No I'm not. I'm saying that the belief that Apple hardware is in someway more "special", "magical" or "superior" to the same hardware when it is used in other products that do not carry the Apple logo, is blind fanboyism and simply retarded.

Hardware is hardware is hardware.

I concur and have said this many times, strip the casing away from my iMac and all that is left is a stock Intel PC. I didn't have to book myself into rehab either when I realised this was the case. :D

Soldato
I'm pleased with my MBP investment. I mean I hear people saying how you can get 75 to 80% of your money back when you sell it on. Which means my next MBP will only cost me a couple of hundred quid. If your like me and got HE discount I bet you could almost get 100% your money back if you upgrade every couple of years.

Soldato
I concur and have said this many times, strip the casing away from my iMac and all that is left is a stock Intel PC. I didn't have to book myself into rehab either when I realised this was the case. :D

Apple's design and use of the components is what we pay the extra for, it will never be for everyone. An Apple product does cost more if you just compare the barebones components but for some OSX and Apple design is worth the extra. Those that do not want to pay extra for this are unlikely to ever buy an Apple product.

As a recent convert from Windows desktop and laptop to MBP I found the new high end MBP could give me everything I needed to replace my 2 windows machines for a price similar to a Windows based laptop but it was important to get something with a long battery life. I couldn't find another laptop with similar specs that could come close.

I'll never get involved in the Windows v OSX debate as I like both, and both have their place. It is fan boys on both sides that have this need to justify their choice as the messiah that cause all the uproar.

Associate
What is your point? What does it matter how thin they are? It's still the same hardware underneath. Which is what I've been saying. There is nothing special about the underlying hardware in Apple products.
I don't think anyone's arguing that Apple use some magic hardware that no one else has, just you with your alter-ego.

How thin and slick it is matters to me, I'm paying the price for something top of the line, something that'll fit in any bag I have, is light and well-made - I've come across, owned and had to sort out many computers and Sony aren't easy to deal with when things start falling off, let alone Acer, Toshiba or the like. My HP netbook has started falling apart after seven or eight months, two Samsung laptops (one I got from here, another new) my brother has owned have slowly fallen apart and died.. I'm fed up of it, and that's just their hardware. Samsung and HP's in-built software is irritating as heck.

Permabanned
I don't think anyone's arguing that Apple use some magic hardware that no one else has, just you with your alter-ego.

Actually, you did when you made your comment about the standard of hardware. When I pointed out that the standard of hardware is the same as the standard of hardware in any mass produced computer line and that none of what you listed was unique to Apple you threw out the argument that because the Air was thinner, it must therefore be superior hardware. To which I responded with a few laptops that were using superior hardware configurations (in particular the 11" screen at 1366x768) at a time when Apple was still using lesser spec (1280x800 on the original Air).

Or did you decide to forget the previous page and completely ignore my points?

As for the 11" Air... Apple claimed they could never make a $500 computer and that was why they wouldn't make a netbook. But the ultra portable market proved to lucrative to pass up on so they decided to dish out an 11" which uses hardware that was in the previous laptops I mentioned for a decent price.

Associate
The one with the :p after it? Tongue in cheek dude. I listed the stuff after that makes it worth the money but somehow I forgot to finish the sentence (or even close the bracket!).

The standard of the casing, the keyboard, the charger and how it's put together is superior though, as is the customer service and accessibility of it.

Apple are known for updating their product line periodically (i.e. every year or so as with lots of their computers and like clockwork with the iPod range).

Soldato
Is it possible for the mods to ban a user from posting in a sub forum? There is a certain participant in this thread I wish to petition to be disallowed from continuously trolling in the apple sub forum.

Soldato
People never get the fact that a windows Laptop with the same spec as a Apple Mac is a third of the processing power of a Mac.
:D:D:D

Oh man what a hilariously retarded comment. :D

Edit: I'd also like to add, about a year ago, I ran a direct Adobe Photoshop benchmark on my £500 PC with 4GB ram and a £2000 Mac Pro with 16 GB ram. The PC was about 8% faster. Cue the Mac owner almost having a heart attack. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I'm no fan of the OS, but I've yet to see any Windows laptop that comes even close to the build quality of my parent's Macbook Pro - they all seem flimsy and plasticy. To compare them based on spec is misleading.

Associate
I'm no fan of the OS, but I've yet to see any Windows laptop that comes even close to the build quality of my parent's Macbook Pro - they all seem flimsy and plasticy. To compare them based on spec is misleading.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/asus-outs-ux21-ultrathin-laptop-with-up-to-core-i7-cpu-video-ha/

I would be interested to see this think in the flesh. It certainly looks nice in the video. Although the bit where he struggles to open it is kind of amusing. None of the opening it with one finger like the are so fond of showing off with the MacBook Airs.

Will also be interesting to see how they price it, what with the claims that Apple are overpriced. If it even comes close to the engineering of an Apple, will they be able to sell it for significantly less I wonder. I saw a review for a Dell that effectively ripped off the MacBook Pros at a lower cost and it seemed to come across as a bad copy, with a more flexible casing and rougher edges for a start. Wonder if Asus can do better.

Soldato

???

Never heard of Toughbooks then??

Never seen the high end IBM/Lenovo laptops?? Even NASA use them on their space missions and on the ISS. Most of them seem to be IBM/Lenovo T series laptops.

What about all the other semi-ruggedised business laptops and ruggedised laptops out there??

Last edited:
Associate
???

Never heard of ToughBooks then??

Never seen the high end IBM/Lenovo laptops then??

What about all the semi-ruggedised business laptops and ruggedised laptops out there??

Well in all fairness, the average consumer my go through life without ever interacting with such a product to make a first hand judgement on its build quality. Apple certainly compare favourably with most, if not all laptops you will find on display in an average high street retailer, that is for sure. They may not be better than all of them but they certainly do not feel worse than any I have personally handled.

And things like toughbooks make for a relatively poor comparison even so. Making a product rugged generally leads to design decisions that may not be considered as aesthetically pleasing as a mainstream product.

Soldato
Well in all fairness, the average consumer my go through life without ever interacting with such a product to make a first hand judgement on its build quality. Apple certainly compare favourably with most, if not all laptops you will find on display in an average high street retailer, that is for sure. They may not be better than all of them but they certainly do not feel worse than any I have personally handled.
And things like toughbooks make for a relatively poor comparison even so. Making a product rugged generally leads to design decisions that may not be considered as aesthetically pleasing as a mainstream product.

The Macbooks tend to be priced higher than most of the plasticy laptops of similar specifications anyway so the build quality should be higher for the price you are paying. I personally think they are very well built and look nice as I have used many myself at previous workplaces.

However,there are many lightweight semi-ruggedised laptops out there. They tend to be known as business ruggedised. I certainly known a few people who have had the business ruggedised Toughbooks and these are typically weigh between 1.4KG to 2.0KG.

On top of this there are business orientated laptops such as the Toshiba R630 and R700 which have diecast magnesium and aluminium alloy construction. There are well built PC laptops out there and not all of them are even over £1000.

I even owned an el-cheapo MSI 12" laptop which was made entirely of diecast magnesium alloy apart from the touchpad and screen surround. I also have a semi-ruggedised Getac netbook which is made of diecast magnesium and aluminium alloy which didn't cost that much either TBH.

Last edited:
Associate
???

Never heard of Toughbooks then??

Never seen the high end IBM/Lenovo laptops?? Even NASA use them on their space missions and on the ISS. Most of them seem to be IBM/Lenovo T series laptops.

What about all the other semi-ruggedised business laptops and ruggedised laptops out there??

A ruggedised laptop is still plasticy and horrible (even more so than a normal laptop, in fact), and may be technically stronger, but is no where near as aesthetically pleasing as a MBP, and doesn't 'feel' as nice and solid as an aluminium MBP.

I'll say that the Lenovo laptops do have the most confidence enspiring build quality of windows laptops, but they still have all the exposed vents, screw holes and hatches etc that a MBP doesn't have, and is uglier.

Soldato
:D:D:D

Oh man what a hilariously retarded comment. :D

At the very least, go read up on micro kernel vs monolythic kernel operating system architecture approach. The newer windows series are somewhat hybrid but they are still monolythic.

Now stop trolling and calling other peoples comments 'retarded'. You clearly don't understand the matters about which you write.

Soldato
At the very least, go read up on micro kernel vs monolythic kernel operating system architecture approach. The newer windows series are somewhat hybrid but they are still monolythic.

Now stop trolling and calling other peoples comments 'retarded'. You clearly don't understand the matters about which you write.
Did you read the second paragraph?:)

I don't care about the system's kernels. I get my performance figures from real world benchmarks. I have nothing more to add. :)

Soldato
A ruggedised laptop is still plasticy and horrible (even more so than a normal laptop, in fact), and may be technically stronger, but is no where near as aesthetically pleasing as a MBP, and doesn't 'feel' as nice and solid as an aluminium MBP.

I'll say that the Lenovo laptops do have the most confidence enspiring build quality of windows laptops, but they still have all the exposed vents, screw holes and hatches etc that a MBP doesn't have, and is uglier.

Can someone please quantify why they assume that a mag/alloy casing equates to superior build quality, this notion baffles me. I'm not saying Apple products are good or bad it's simply the assertion that the material used somehow equates to build quality that I'm interested in. If I strip the casing off my iMac then I'm left with an Intel PC with stock off the shelf parts. So many consumers are an adman's dream. :rolleyes:

Associate
Material alone does not equate to build quality. It is what you do with quality materials that counts. The Dell MBP wannabe I mentioned above apparently uses a magnesium/aluminium alloy and is reportedly thinner and more flexible, as well as having some edges that chafe the user's wrists when typing.

And yes, they may very well use a lot of stock parts but the value of a nice, solid box to put them in should not be overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom