Head Units

Associate
Hi guys,

My girlfriend recently brought a used car a Vauxhall Corsa VXR, she loves it apart from the head unit on it, which doesnt have DAB..

So I've been looking into buying a double din head unit.. bit it's like a minefield so I'm after suggestions..

Firstly I don't want everything to he internet based so I'd like the DAB to be through a receiver rather than the 'net. Shed have to hotspot from her phone for thus and it'll run her battery down to much..

I'd like GPS but again do they allow you to download maps for offline use...

Thirdly, how easy are they to fit, I know nothing about cars but am quite handy with a screwdriver..
I've seen clips on YouTube and it looks easy enough..

Also, how do I find out whether the unit is compatible with the car?

And finally I dont want to spend over £200..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Associate
Basics you will need:
-Double din fascia for the VXR if the VXR doesn't have a cut out for the headunit( which in most cases it probably won't) or the head unit doesn't supply with one
-You can use sat-nav with GPS without using mobile data or any internet connection but it will be very slow to access Google maps if it is Google maps you are planning on using. To have full access to the whole UK maps you will need to find a way to download the whole lot which in case you can upto certain range with Google maps, any other Map application they might have a fee.
-You should be able to get DAB without needing any mobile data connection or connection to phone if the car is in range of a DAB radio station
-If the car has audio control on the steering wheel you will probably need some adapter/harness to allow you to use the steering wheel controls
- You may need to buy some harness/adapter to connect the head unit to the existing audio connector to the car
-You will probably need trim removal tool to save yourself some headache in trying to get the original head unit off and potentially a special tool to pull the head unit out in general (basing on photos from quick google)
-Any headunit will work provided as long as you buy harness/adapter to connect them to existing wiring

Best of luck

Soldato
All DAB is over the air from the unit, never known DAB to require a data connection.
You will need to take a look here and know the year of the care etc.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/adapters?cat=1878
This is the front facing framing of your new unit for the dashboard.
You will need a couple of wiring adaptors, for the main plugin foe the new unit to the existing car wiring ( literally pull out old, plug in new, and for the Aerial adapter ( again plugin).

Gps and the head-unit you choose go hand in hand, 90% of the time the GPS maps is stored on an SD card that you can update yourself for offline use.
It is pretty easy, you cant really screw anything up id something doesn't work it just means the head-unit doesn't work not the rest of the car.

I would advise getting the interior panel removal tools they are a touch plastic but best to remove trim fittings and are relatively cheap. Also look into what "removal keys" you might need to get the original head unit out.

ALL after market Double Din Headunit are the same size and measurements, so after you get fittings sorted just get the one with the best feature set for yourself.

Dont think you could get the Facia, Adaptors and head Unit for £200 though.

Soldato
Hi guys,

My girlfriend recently brought a used car a Vauxhall Corsa VXR, she loves it apart from the head unit on it, which doesnt have DAB..

So I've been looking into buying a double din head unit.. bit it's like a minefield so I'm after suggestions..

Firstly I don't want everything to he internet based so I'd like the DAB to be through a receiver rather than the 'net. Shed have to hotspot from her phone for thus and it'll run her battery down to much..

I'd like GPS but again do they allow you to download maps for offline use...

Thirdly, how easy are they to fit, I know nothing about cars but am quite handy with a screwdriver..
I've seen clips on YouTube and it looks easy enough..

Also, how do I find out whether the unit is compatible with the car?

And finally I dont want to spend over £200..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

As cu3ed has posted, you'll probably struggle at £200 - depending on what adapters etc. you need, the fitting stuff could be ~£50 on its own before you even start looking at the headunit itself.

One place to look is Amazon Warehouse - headunits seem to be something they have quite a few of, I replaced the stock stereo in my GF's 2008 Fiesta with a Sony XAV-AX3005 Android Auto/Car play headunit, for £300 including all the fittings. £250 for the headunit in "Used - Very Good" condition (when it came it looked like the box had been opened and that was it, everything inside was still in the original packaging), and £50 for the facia and all cables.

I doubt you'll find something which has built in GPS/maps for that kind of price range, but AA/Car Play might be an option? You plug the phone in via USB, so it actually charges it at the same time meaning no worries about running down the battery. It also means you can play things like Spotify/Amazon music etc. with an interface on the stereo screen, and you get the realtime traffic updates etc. on Waze/Google maps, which you wouldn't get with an offline head unit.

It does of course depend how much data she has on her phone, and also requires plugging in to the USB connection when she wants to use it.

Soldato
^ I have the same head unit (XA-AX3005) and would highly recommend it. Yes it’s a bit more than you wanted to spend but:
  • It’s fast booting
  • It’s very smart and minimalist looking. No bling dials, colour LEDS etc
  • It’s interface is very clean and easy to use
  • The single-sun rear makes it easier to install and tuck / secure cables
I would highly recommend it!

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies..

I had a look at the carparts website and found this..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dab...digital-multimedia-system-bluetooth-dab-radio

This is a bit morel like what I want to spend and has DAB and Bluetooth capabilities which are the two most important things, doesn't have touchscreen and navigation that would come with Android Auto but as long as it's got DAB/Bluetooth think the missus would be happy..

So firstly, thought son this DAB radio and secondly what else would I need to purchase to fit it into a Vauxhall Corsa VXR Arden edition 2012..

Thanks for all your help...

Back
Top Bottom