Headlight fault - is this an MOT failure?

Soldato
Hi all,

I have adaptive front headlights on my Mondeo which have failed so the headlights do not move left to right and are stuck in one position. There is a warning on the dash and a fault code for this.

All the lights work though still, dipped, main, indicators, cornering lamps, sidelights all function normally.

Its just the dash warning and the lack of swivel (stuck in one position).

Is this an MOT fail?

Thanks

Soldato
you mean they don't physically turn right/left to light up bends earlier ?

I thought mot now had a installed electrical equipment for important systems, giving waring lights on dash had to be fixed clause
... unless you have a non-digital dash and could remove a tell-tale warning bulb, that is

edit: I was thinking of this - so not related to a light warning light

https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/new-mot-rules-warning-lights-car-safety/
The MOT test now includes a ‘Malfunction Indicator Lamp’ check. This requires the examiner to visually check that warning lights for electronic stability control, safety restraint systems, anti-lock braking systems and tyre pressure monitoring systems are not permanently illuminated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you mean they don't physically turn right/left to light up bends earlier ?

I thought mot now had a installed electrical equipment for important systems, giving waring lights on dash had to be fixed clause
... unless you have a non-digital dash and could remove a tell-tale warning bulb, that is

They light up, as normal, but don't turn left or right with the steering any more due to a fault. They aren't pointing straight ahead either as I think the swivel motors have got stuck off centre.

And there is an associated warning on the digital dashboard saying front light malfunction.

Man of Honour
They do test that the headlights illuminate within a specific range horizontal and vertical but whether they'd pass that or the details I have no idea.

Generally a fail if fault lights relevant to headlights don't go out on the dash though these days - again devil will be in the detail and some might stick it as an advisory.

Associate
They do test that the headlights illuminate within a specific range horizontal and vertical but whether they'd pass that or the details I have no idea.

Generally a fail if fault lights relevant to headlights don't go out on the dash though these days - again devil will be in the detail and some might stick it as an advisory.
as said ..im pretty sure that any warning light or message there off will produce a fail. on the mondeo outside possibillity check the fuses otherwise you will need to physically check the units, maybe the motors have siezed but unlucky if both have, could be wire off the motors outside possibility.

Soldato
OP
as said ..im pretty sure that any warning light or message there off will produce a fail. on the mondeo outside possibillity check the fuses otherwise you will need to physically check the units, maybe the motors have siezed but unlucky if both have, could be wire off the motors outside possibility.

Ive already been trying to fix it for 2 days. The headlight had water ingress and the swivel motor is heavily corroded. Ive tried to source the part but it doesn't seem to be available. Trying breakers yards too but no luck so far.

Ive tried to reset the fault codes in forscan, do a calibration. Error is still there. It might be possible to deactivate the adaptive lights in Forscan but I'd still need to centre the swivel motors to a neutral position which they at the moment simply will not budge.

New headlights are £250 a side, not OEM. OEM are closer to £500 a side.

Soldato
OP
you've probably seen this .. so maybe just soldering (lead free) some new bits of cable is needed.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/foru...-adaptive-headlight-problems/page/2/#comments

I've had the headlights off the car and the small swivel motor out of both sides. This was it before I cleaned it up:

Ey0XW7m.png

I cleaned the exterior as best I could but couldn't get inside it and it still doesn't work. I wanted to try and drive the motor outside of the car with a 12V supply but I cant figure out the wiring. There is a printed circuit board housed inside that plastic back section.

If I could manually move the headlights to be pointing forward, I could then code out the adaptive lights fault and it would be fine. Problem is I cant get the motors to turn at all, so the lights are pointing off to the side currently.

I was hoping for more advice on the talk ford forums but they are pretty dead these days it seems.

I could buy a replacement motor from China but whilst it looks identical it has an ever so slightly different model/code on the unit so I don't know if it would work plus its a month to get here so I might have failed MOT by then.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Headlights not correctly aligned is an MOT failure - and it sounds like yours are pointing the wrong way?

If there is a warning lamp on the dashboard then that will be a minor at best, and probablly a failure.

Have you tried looking for replacement motors on ebay?

Soldato
OP
Headlights not correctly aligned is an MOT failure - and it sounds like yours are pointing the wrong way?

If there is a warning lamp on the dashboard then that will be a minor at best, and probablly a failure.

Have you tried looking for replacement motors on ebay?

The swivel motors allow the headlights to point left or right with the steering though don't they. So this range must be within legal limits. Mine are stuck pointing left rather than straight ahead.

The motors don't seem to be available, Ive tried various searches including the make and model code. Ive found them on Aliexpress but slightly different variant code so don't know if they would work. It is a Visteon ELB 403 motor but this circled part of the code is slightly different to mine:

xD3lm73.png

I could code out the dash warning as I have Forscan.

I have now ordered a whole replacement headlight from an ebay breaker for £85. Still expensive, if that doesn't work Im into new unit territory at nearly £500.

Last edited:
Soldato
with the unusual armature and ball end coupling looks like a stepper motor that must wind in and out nylon coupling
if you have access free them up forcibly so you can wind them to an appropriate point manually - some thread around shaft.
a more easily adjustable (?) back of shaft is not visible beneath end plastic cover ... or drill through to access it.

Soldato
OP
with the unusual armature and ball end coupling looks like a stepper motor that must wind in and out nylon coupling
if you have access free them up forcibly so you can wind them to an appropriate point manually - some thread around shaft.
a more easily adjustable (?) back of shaft is not visible beneath end plastic cover ... or drill through to access it.

I cant risk breaking it at the moment as without that piece I have no way of holding the swivelling light mechanism steady in the light unit.

If this replacement headlight unit works, I'll try to disassemble the broken motor.

Man of Honour
The swivel motors allow the headlights to point left or right with the steering though don't they. So this range must be within legal limits. Mine are stuck pointing left rather than straight ahead.
It's not me you need to convince. It's this guy with this device.

Soldato
OP
Ive had an idea - if new (used) headlight doesn't fix the issue I can remove the swivel motors from both lights and use some stiff wire inside the light to hold the unit in one position, anchoring it on the mounts for the swivel motor.

Soldato
If they're pointing slightly left or right, ask the tester to adjust to within specs. You can adjust the beam pattern L&R (on most cars) as well as up and down manually.
It'll only take a few seconds.
If i was testing it, that's what i'd do, but not all testers are that helpful.

Soldato
OP
If they're pointing slightly left or right, ask the tester to adjust to within specs. You can adjust the beam pattern L&R (on most cars) as well as up and down manually.
It'll only take a few seconds.
If i was testing it, that's what i'd do, but not all testers are that helpful.

Wont work on this. The whole internal projector lens swivels freely across probably a 30 degree angle at least, via the swivel motor, there is no other adjustment. Up/down is also via a level adjustment motor.

Soldato
and use some stiff wire inside the light to hold the unit in one position, anchoring it on the mounts for the swivel motor.
good idea .. or a long captive, could be nylon, bolt, with a locknut.
I'd done adjustment against a marked up garage door when I had a level drive, after installing some new bulb units in an import car.

Soldato
MOT tester here - will try and clear a few things up...

• The warning for the active headlight fault is not a fail.
  • The active headlights do not need to work, however the self levelling system does need to work (ie. if weight is put on the back end of the car, the headlight aim should lower).
  • If your headlights are stuck to the left, as long as the beam 'kick-up' is still visible on the beam setter it's a pass, providing that the vertical aim is also within spec. But both of these should be adjustable to make it pass as it allows for a huge amount of adjustment to the left before the kick-up disappears.

Back
Top Bottom