Headphone AMP/DAC Combo

Soldato
Delivery would be on top.

It's really unclear on their website whether the DAC is included or not but on the American site they are going for $399 for the amp only and $499 with the balanced DAC. So considering the UK price includes VAT I would say that it's the amp only price, which puts it way out of range and probably close to £500 for the combined DAC & Amp.

Another option would be to get the Modi 2 and Magni 2 Uber and stack them. You'd have the same RCA pre-outs and a very nice DAC and headphone amp for £245 (£100 + £145) with another few quid for short RCA interconnects.

I use their own Pyst cables which are nice and short (15cm) but cost £15 and I am sure you could find cheaper on the rain forest.

You could also get longer interconnect RCA cables and have the Modi 2 hidden out of sight and just have the Magni 2 Uber on your desktop.

Associate
It looks like a hell of a DAC too, with dual AK4490 DAC chips so the balanced output should be ridiculously good.

I wish you could get the phono stage and DAC in one unit though! Currently using a DacMagicPlus. Im not sold on the whole balanced output though? I always thought balanced connections are for long cable runs, not sure it would make much difference apart from being more powerful. Has anyone A/B tested balanced vs single ended?

Man of Honour
Was someone who posted here awhile about enthusing about their setup after switching to balanced - my own experiences are kind of limited but didn't really notice much difference - but you do really need a fully balanced setup from end point to end point to best experience it and I believe as you said the main gains are in integrity of the signal in long distance signal transmission.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
How does the DAC on the Jotunheim compare to the Modi Multibit one?

Edit: After reading about it the DAC add-on for the Jotunheim is not a multibit DAC so in theory the Modi Multibit would be the better DAC.

I've also emailed Schitt EU to see about the DAC add-on for the Jotunheim availability.

WOW that was a quick reply: "We hope to have stock within the next two weeks the option is not showing as we are out of stock."

Last edited:
Soldato
The Jotenhiem would be end-game for me. I dont think i'd ever want anything else.

I use their own Pyst cables which are nice and short (15cm) but cost £15 and I am sure you could find cheaper on the rain forest.

I made my own 6" cables. TBH it's just easier to get PYST though :o

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Well these arrived today....

IMG_1397_zpsoqycbmj3.jpg

Still looking at the DAC / AMP Combo's at the moment.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I've been doing a lot more research via the various audio forums and you tube reviews and ended up with and few options and a bit more confused.

These are my current options I am looking to order.

1. Modi 2 MB + Vali 2
2. Modi 2 MB + Lyr 2 (This gives a option to update to the Bifrost MB at later date)
3. Modi 2 Multibit + Vallhalla 2 (This gives a option to update to the Bifrost MB at later date)
4. Oppo HA-1

The my current order of preference it's:

2 > 3 > 1 > 4

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go for the Modi Multibit, I can't really see much point in throwing more cash at the Bifrost MB, as there isn't a lot between them.

As for the amps, it all depends on just how tubey you want the sound to be. Personally, I went the other way with my HD650s, very much preferring the smoothness of tubes first, to preferring the more punchy bass of solid state.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I like the idea of the Modi MB as its quite small and its possible I can put it under my desk.

It's the amp, where I am getting myself a little confused. Here are my current thoughts:

1. Vahalla 2 seems to be very highly praised with the HD650's but in its stock configuration it looks to be a very neutral tube amp. However, it does allow for tube rolling

2. Lyr 2 seems to be a half-way house option, as it gives you options to ether make it a SS desktop amp or Tube amp. That's my main reason for it being top on my list (I guess it’s the options which I find appealing).

3. Oppo is a lovely unit but reading about it maybe a little bright for my tastes but you can never know without a demo. However, the unit is a little large for a desktop amp.

4. Vali 2 very much the same as the Valhalla in many respects a little less open in its reproduction than the Valhalla.

However, there is also the Jotunheim to add to the mix as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I like the idea of the Modi MB as its quite small and its possible I can put it under my desk.

It's the amp, where I am getting myself a little confused. Here are my current thoughts:

1. Vahalla 2 seems to be very highly praised with the HD650's but in its stock configuration it looks to be a very neutral tube amp. However, it does allow for tube rolling

2. Lyr 2 seems to be a half-way house option, as it gives you options to ether make it a SS desktop amp or Tube amp. That's my main reason for it being top on my list (I guess it’s the options which I find appealing).

3. Oppo is a lovely unit but reading about it maybe a little bright for my tastes but you can never know without a demo. However, the unit is a little large for a desktop amp.

4. Vali 2 very much the same as the Valhalla in many respects a little less open in its reproduction than the Valhalla.

However, there is also the Jotunheim to add to the mix as well.

The Valhalla2 is a great match for the HD650 showing how resolving and capable of bringing out the micro detail but I found it a little light on impact and a bit too dry even with different tubes.

Lyr2 is warm, a bit too warm for the HD650 making it lack a bit of bite but I liked it better than the Val2 but the Val2 is a technically better amp.

Vali 2 was a great in between better resolution than the Lyr2 but not quite as good as the Val2 in that area. Smoother treble than both amps but can be a little soft in the bass but it's up there with a lot of expensive tube/hybrid amps even costing 5 times as much.

I really like the Chord Mojo with everything it has fantastic impact, great extension and is fairly resolving. It sounds great with everything I put it on even the HD800 and Audioquest Nighthawk which can be source picky. Headfi overate it a little bit but it's a good device.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the detailed reply and it pretty much echo's what I have been reading about on Head-Fi. The Modi 2 MB is defiantly on the cards, as that will replace my on-board sound card.

Its finding the right amp which is proving to be difficult or ive overloaded myself with information.

Soldato
Honestly, I think you will be extremely happy with any of them, you're talking subtle signature differences, all of them will sound very good.

The Mojo is a good shout as it would save you a LOT of money because it takes care of both DAC and Amp.

Back
Top Bottom