Headphone Amp ?

Soldato
OK do I need a headphone amp ? I got myself a set of DT 770 Pro Headphones and when I got them I was told " you might need a headphone amp with those , even though I'm running the headphones through my sound card ( specs below ) ?

Soldato
You have an Essence STX, you'll be fine. It's one hell of a card, so much so I've still got mine and I've gone through a variety of external DACs and Headphone amps. The headphone amp in the STX is lovely IMO.

Soldato
Fancy having a sound card with a good headphone amp and not knowing it has one. :o :p

Gamer's; they can tell you about the specs of the motherboard, GPU, RAM and CPU they are going to buy, but when it comes to sound cards, it's just a printed circuit board with some components on it that is used for sound.....

I'm just pulling you leg of course. :)

Associate
It's for use with a laptop so it needs to be not...a desktop amp :)

Most compact thing you're going to find is a Dragonfly. get the red version you need the extra power for those headphones. It's the size of a thumb drive, but it's a DAC amp. Obviously a full size plug-in style amp is better but if space is limited and you can't use mains it's what you want.

Soldato
Most compact thing you're going to find is a Dragonfly. get the red version you need the extra power for those headphones. It's the size of a thumb drive, but it's a DAC amp. Obviously a full size plug-in style amp is better but if space is limited and you can't use mains it's what you want.

Always wondered about this. If you can fit it all in something so small, why make such massive amps like some of the Schiit stuff? Is it to command a higher price and give the user a sense of buying a premium item?

Associate
Always wondered about this. If you can fit it all in something so small, why make such massive amps like some of the Schiit stuff? Is it to command a higher price and give the user a sense of buying a premium item?

No, the bigger amps are actually better. The Dragonfly is a compromise product where you sacrifice amplifier quality for size and portability. The cost of the schiit stack (entry level modi/magni) vs a dragonfly red is similar, and the schiit stack outperforms significantly. It has much higher output power. The DAC quality is similar. But you can't put a schiit stack in your pocket hooked up to your iphone or break it out on an airplane. I mean I suppose you could break it out on an airplane if the plane had power ports and you had a small power strip but it would be weird.

Back
Top Bottom