HeadPhone Amp ?

Soldato
It has only digital inputs and can't work as headphone amp for separate analog source.

..And neither does Fiio E10K have analog input.

Yep. If the OP does need an analogue input for the headphone amp, then the E10K and X6 aren't much use.

I'd missed the idea was to use the headphone amp with the TV/humax box. Completely rules out the E10K anyway.

Doesn't either TV or Humax box have optical output?

X6 would work quite well if there is optical from the TV or box and use the USB for PC. or coaxial from the Humax, if it has it.

Soldato
Guys I'm completely lost :confused: would buying the Sound Blaster G5 sort the problem out.
It isn't exactly ideal with need to have PC on for power and controlling many settings like if Line in is "monitored"/routed to output. (and digital volume control with steps)
But it would certainly simplify amount of wiring over having separate headphone amplifier:
NAD would be connected to G5's line out for having PC's sound to speakers, if you need that.
And PVR would use Y-cable with one branch going to NAD's input and other to line in of G5 for getting TV's sound to headphones.

Anyway myself I'm going to be pretty much "off-line" untill Sunday evening...

Associate
OP
Well i could just leave the TV to Nad cable as it is as i don't use the headphone much for the TV. Then i could just get a G5 for the PC sound and headphone amp. Do you see any problems with doing it that way

:)

Soldato
If you've got optical out on either your TV or Humax box, then the FX-Audio X6, will work fine and half the cost of the Creative G5.

If you've only got analogue out coming from either TV or Humax box, then the G5 is the best bet.

Don't suppose you know what models of TV and Humax box you have?

Soldato
Yes, the E5 has more features than the G5, like Bluetooth connection and has a battery, so is portable. G5 is for tethered use. Always connected to a PC or console.

I can see an optical port on the Humax and although Samsung's manual and site seemed useless for getting the TV's specs, looking on a comparison site does indicate it has optical.

Creative G5 will do what you need, but the X-Audio X6 will also do what you want for half the cost and should be simpler to set up, as you won't have to split the analogue out from the Humax box going to your amp like you would with the G5.

It will connect like this; PC connected to X6 via USB; optical out from Humax box into the X6; leave the analogue cable running from the Humax box into your NAD amp; RCA cable from the X6 line out into one of the inputs on the NAD.

You will need to change or make sure the optical output is set to stereo in the Humax settings. It may be set to multi channel, which won't work.

Associate
OP
Yes, the E5 has more features than the G5, like Bluetooth connection and has a battery, so is portable. G5 is for tethered use. Always connected to a PC or console.

I can see an optical port on the Humax and although Samsung's manual and site seemed useless for getting the TV's specs, looking on a comparison site does indicate it has optical.

Creative G5 will do what you need, but the X-Audio X6 will also do what you want for half the cost and should be simpler to set up, as you won't have to split the analogue out from the Humax box going to your amp like you would with the G5.

It will connect like this; PC connected to X6 via USB; optical out from Humax box into the X6; leave the analogue cable running from the Humax box into your NAD amp; RCA cable from the X6 line out into one of the inputs on the NAD.

You will need to change or make sure the optical output is set to stereo in the Humax settings. It may be set to multi channel, which won't work.

Thanks for that Marsman. I don't ever see me needing Bluetooth or a battery powered one so the G5 would do it. I also like the look of the X-Audio X6 and I know there releasing the X-Audio X7 soon so it might be worth the wait.

I am moving house in the next 4 or 5 weeks so with any luck I will have a bit of spare money and I can update my PVR and TV and i would think they would have optical ports on them that I might use.

Marsman on a side note do you know anything about USB Audio Interfaces they also have a headphone amp in then but I don't know how good they are. I use USB mics at the moment but i was thinking about getting a XLR mic and maybe the headphone amp on something like the Audient iD4 USB Audio Interface would be just as good as a G5 or X-Audio X6 .

Soldato
I would have thought an interface such as the iD4 should be able to drive the DT770 fine. The average interface might struggle with more demanding headphones though.

Just looked at a thread on head-fi, where someone asked about this (albeit a different brand of interface) and another member posted that he uses DT770 250 Ohm headphones with an M-Audio interface.

If you want to use the headphone amp with your TV/Humax box, then as long as there is analogue input, then no reason why you shouldn't go for an interface. I don't think the iD4 does though; unless you decide to not use the headphone out with the TV/Humax box and just use the NAD for that instead, leaving the interface for PC use only.

Associate
OP
Having looked at reviews i have now ruled out a USB Audio Interface. So its a straight fight between the X-Audio X6 and the Sound BlasterX G5. I think if they were both in a boxing ring the X-Audio X6 would be taking a real beating from the Sound BlasterX G5.

:D

Soldato
Both can do the job, albeit slightly differently, in that you'd use analogue into the G5 and optical in for the X6.

I suppose it ultimately comes down to whether you're happy to pay £120, or whether you'd feel more comfortable paying £60.

Associate
OP
Both can do the job, albeit slightly differently, in that you'd use analogue into the G5 and optical in for the X6.

I suppose it ultimately comes down to whether you're happy to pay £120, or whether you'd feel more comfortable paying £60.

I'm thinking i might push the boat out a little and go for the XG5. Am i right in thinking that all i would need to connect it would be a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable.

Also on a side note yet again :D Can the XG5 be connected to a TV Soundbar ?

:)

Soldato
Perhaps the most convenient way to split the signal coming from the Humax box between NAD amp and G5, would be with an RCA pass through cable from the Humax box into the NAD, then run a RCA to 3.5mm cable from that to the G5. That should work and will mean the NAD won't need to be on in order for the G5 to receive audio from the Humax box. The NAD does have tape in and out, which you could use, but would mean the amp having to be on when using the G5 with the Humax box, for the signal to pass through.

Not really sure what the advantage of connecting the G5 to a soundbar is. Audio from PC to the soundbar?

Anyway; it has optical output, so you can connect a soundbar is that has optical input.

Back
Top Bottom