Headphone Recomendations?

Soldato
Hi,
I'm looking at some new headphones since my Sony MDR-EX85 have packed up.

Budget approx £60. Something in-ear (perhaps over ear?) would be good, with good bass response. The sonys i've got at the moment are good but cut out a bit too much sound from around me (I often get people talking to me but I can't hear them :p), but equally when i'm on the tube i like something that cuts the noise out. Something like the original ipod headphones would be good.

Also I'll be using it with my iPhone so having buttons/mic would be good or bluetooth would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hamish

Soldato
They look fairly nice... Review is here

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/07/25/monsters-beats-tour-earphones-in-review-made-for-todays-music/.

It is especially tuned for music which has been engineered with forward vocals, fast, high-pitched bass impact, and overall loudness at its core. In other words, what Dr. Dre must be hearing in his studio.

If that fits your style then maybe they are for you?

I personally have never heard of them but I also haven't been researching the current market. Packaging and general product looks like it has had time spent on it though.

Associate
Klipsch Image S4i

Good bass response? Check.
Around £60? Sort of check, can be had cheaper than the above link.
iPhone compatible buttons + mic? Check.

If you want something cheaper then the NuForce NF-7M get great reviews on Head-Fi, they have superb bass response and the mic works with the iPhone - a little bit more info on them: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/ne7m/index.php

IMHO the Klipsch are worth the extra just for how comfy the tips are, they are oval rather than rounded and are without a doubt the most comfy IEM's I have ever tried :)

The Dre Tour's are overpriced - they are made by Monster who make some decent headphones (Monster Turbines) but as usual with monster products, your paying over the odds.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not shooting down your suggestion but I thought Etymotic's were renowned for having very little in the way of bass?

There is a Bass version... but mine have good bass, you have to really spend time getting the correct fit and testing with tracks tho. Can't just pick a set of plugs out of the box and use them, have to try them all to see what suits you best.

If you are sceptical, I would say try them first... the annoying thing with inears though is this is often not possible!

Back
Top Bottom