headphone / speaker switch ?

Permabanned
Have just bought an asus d2x and only now i have it in my hands do i realise there is no connection on it for my front panel, how strange ?
What i am now needing then is a headphone / speaker switch device so i dont have to constantly faff round the back of the pc when i want to swap over from speakers to headphones.
Where can i get such a device

Soldato
D2/D2X was the 1st Xonar, I believe, so front panel header was only considered in later Xonar cards. PiTA, but there we go.

You can buy a cheap Plantronics, or if you are DIY inclined, make one. :)

Soldato
I'd make one personally, they shouldn't be too difficult to do and would cost you significantly less.

You think? I know people that couldn't wire a plug without destroying the equipment the plug is connect to! :o

You are right though, it's relatively simple for anyone that doesn't mind a bit of DIY. :) I don't know why it isn't possible to buy a reasonably priced half decent one. Maybe they exist, but I haven't come across any, only the cheap as chips Plantronics one and some others.

Soldato
Well, it seems ok. A few people have bought them, not wanting to pay too much money for such a thing. It depends I think on the headphones and speakers being used. I certainly wouldn't want to use the Plantronics thing, if I was using a stereo amp and some bookshelf speakers, just as an example. I suppose, these things are made with cheap PC speakers and headset in mind. With such things, piddly cables don't matter.

Associate
If you can solder a couple of cables together you can make your own, better quality one for the same price or even less, your main issue is finding some sort of casing.

Have you thought about just using a Y splitter? If you get a decent priced one (check if Fisual make one, I swear by them for great quality bargain cables) you won't hear any quality difference, the only thing you have to remember is to turn off your speakers when you're about to listen to headphones.

Soldato
Splitter will mess around with the impedance, if the headset is connected when the speakers are on. It will work, but it's not ideal. I'd still prefer to use a cheap switch unit, rather than use a splitter with headphones attached when speakers are in use.

Back
Top Bottom