Headphones/Amp

Soldato
Ok, I might be in the market for a new set of headphones/amp, but want to know what people recommend....

Basically I came home at Xmas to discover the parents had bought a beosound8.

Now, when I went back to uni I found that the music I was listening to on my setup was missing.... Something, but it's hard to say what... Almost a roundness or fullness is the best way to describe it.....

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any worthwhile upgrades to my setup to increase the quality I'm getting, without completely breaking the bank....

I currently have:
Xonar D2, FiiO E5 and a pair of NS1000s.... I'm thinking two worthwhile upgrades would be amp and headphones....

I'm thinking a desktop amp wouldn't be a bad idea now... Maybe a FiiO or is there something better out there?

As for headphones I'm just wanting that something that will stop making music sound so lacking....

kd

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, a Denon D2000 and an FiiO E9 is a solid combo that comes in at under £300. Or maybe the Denon and an Essence STX soundcard for slightly more, if you want to still game using Dolby Headphone.

What sort of music do you listen to and what sort of sound do you like in terms of bass, mids and treble?

Soldato
OP
Uhm, a range of music really... Annoyingly everything is probable... Quite an eclectic selection.....

Would it really be worth upgrading from the d2 to the stx?

I think I'd like more bass, or generally just something with more of a punch and roundness... That doesn't really help I know....

kd

Soldato
The D2 will probably be fine. I just like the STX as a neat all-in-one solution that allows you to have headphones and speakers hooked up simultaneously and use them separately.

Sounds like you want to avoid something that is "thin" sounding, lacking body. The D2K is a good all-rounder I'd say, but it's worth reading lots of reviews to try and get an overall picture of what they sound like. Trying them out would be best though!

Back
Top Bottom