1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones, are they detrimental to health?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by something daft already!!, Jun 13, 2019.

1. something daft already!!

Mobster

Mine are BT. If there were issues with Bluetooth, I think we might have heard something due to it's wide usage.

2. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Yeah but this is a minority thing and you could put it down to many factors. I'm not sure headphones are the problem. Some people are oblivious whether they can hear or not. You might also ask them to ban concentrated thinking because that certainly doesn't make people pay attention to their surroundings!

3. ninezerofive

Gangster

Yea sure, same as they tell you about fluoride effect on your body.

4. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

I'd like to see a citation for this.

Sounds like BS

5. sovietspybob

Wise Guy

Look up listener fatigue, there isn't a huge amount of proper research on the subject that i can find but it seems to be pretty widely accepted in the audio production community.

It's also tied in the with loudness war to some extent but i'd class them as 2 separate things.

6. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Is this the same community that used to spend four figures on monster audio cables?

I'd bet money it's BS. It depends on a misunderstanding of what bitrate means exactly and how codecs work.

7. ukxenon

Hitman

without a headset or ear buds i would have done damage to some people so for me NO

8. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

Listener fatigue is different. I had some bright headphones which I found very fatiguing therefore they weren't enjoyable.

However I don't think I've ever had my ears or brain introduce something that was never present in the media in the first place. That is what I am calling BS on.

The reason why low bit rate is fatiguing is because it's horrible to listen to and you need to concentrate more to hear stuff.

9. sovietspybob

Wise Guy

This is the kind of thing i'm thinking of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURPQI3VW58

10. V F

Capodecina

Well most headphones usually has PVC cups by default which most complain about the heat and sweat. I use the Brainwavz all velour on the Steelseries 840 and the AKG K702 is standard velour. I've never had heat or sweat issues with velour.

Plus I usually have the amp dials between 8 - 9 o'clock.

11. arc@css

Caporegime

The only thing I've heard (no pun intended :D) about using earphones/headphones is that, in terms of volume and the effect on your ears, it's better overall to use headphones - which is the opposite of which I would have thought.

However, I've no idea what is the lesser evil of the two.

12. Tephnos

Mobster

Short answer: no

Long answer: only if you have the volume set too loud.

13. Brizzles

Soldato

Sadly its too late.

Anything that comes close to your ears will kill you.

why do you think earwigs came from?

nice friendly guys to start with , then the pincers come out

14. WantoN

Sgarrista

I think I damaged my hearing as a youngun with 'banging' sound systems; I have sporadic bouts of ringing and one ear will hear very poorly for a few minutes.

These days I listen to things quieter, and I find open backed headphones really help. Now that I have a 'manspace' it doesn't bother anyone. Else I use decent IEMs with the volume down.

Hearing is important, and most people listen to things way too loud.

15. builder22

Wise Guy

eh?? WHaT>

16. Lartyconshayo

Wise Guy

2 girls 1 PVC cups

17. Illusion

Hitman

I keep getting an ear infection on one side and my doctor told me there’s a huge rise in this type of thing now and it could potentially be ear phones trapping moisture and bacteria in them.

Otherwise volume levels need to be moderated too as has already been mentioned

18. V F

Capodecina

There are also people out there who share in ear headphones. So it's another way to get infections.

19. iamdjdz

Mobster

I have hearing loss in one ear and permanent tinnitus, I've put it down to listening to Walkman and CD player at full chat on the walk to school for 7 years straight. This and clubbing in my late teens/early 20s. So probably listening too loud damages hearing.

Apart from that probably no other issues.

20. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

On the contrary, wearing noise cancelling headphones on the Tube during my old daily 2 hour commute was very good for my mental health.