Headphones for movies

Associate
Quick background,

My wife and i both work shifts so need to keep relatively quiet when one or the other is sleeping during the day.

I watch a lot of movies/series and am looking for a decent set of headphones in the £100 arena.

top of my list are the Grado SR80i just shy of £115 they get some very good reviews.

anything else i should consider.

it will be plugged into a Sony STR-DH810 Amp via 6.35

Soldato
Grado's are very good, but are only really good for rock music. They have very little bass, so explosions etc, are not going to carry any weight. They are also open, so will leak a lot of sound. Depends where the listener is, in relation to the sleeper. As long as it is different rooms with closed doors, then open headphones that leak sound won't matter.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, are very good headphones that perform very well with films. They are closed, so minimal sound leakage, are comfortable and durable. The Grado's can be uncomfortable, depending on who you speak to, as there is no padding on the headband.

They are a bit more than £115 though, at about £130.

Associate
OP
Listener is downstairs sleeper up in bed. I like my action movies so good bass would be important. I'll have a look at the 770s.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I always buy something I couldn't normaly justify with any cash I get so I can stretch a little.

I'm not bothered about looks either as I won't be going out in them.

Do the 770s come with different impedences?

Associate
I have the Beyer DT770 Pro (80Ohm) and I can 100% recommend them as an all rounder!

I work nights so I needed a pair of cans like yourself and I got the Beyer's and a mini DAC/Headphone amp. hooked it to my pc and my SKY HD+ box and movies via both sound brilliant. Even TopGear sounds epic! The walking dead.... hear those bits of rotten gristle grind when the walkers are moving etc:D

Oh and the beyers have a nice long 3m cable and I forget i have them on after watching a film, yep that comfy!

Edit: yes the DT 770's have different impedence's. I went with the 80 ohm pair incase i didnt find a headphone amp.

Soldato
The only thing I will be plugging them into is my amp. What impedences should I be lookin at?

Looks like I can get the 250s for a little under £130 the 80s are closer to £150

Dolphin Music, has the 80Ohm versions for £122.

They would be the best version to get, as they will not require a dedicated headphone amp as much as the 250Ohm version.

People have differing opinions though, as some think the 250Ohm versions do not need an amp.

Soldato
If you are considering the 250Ohm version, then yes. Whatever you decide to go for, best to try them first and see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom