Headphones

Soldato
I'm after some decent headphones for use in the gym. I listen to a lot of Trance, Drum & Bass and house music when i'm in the gym so decent bass is a must.

They need to be wireless and noise cancellation would be great although I know I will be pushing it with my budget.

My budget is £100.

Any recommendations?

Caporegime
In ear or over ear? There’s been some good deals on Sony BT headphones recently like the WH-CH700N or there’s the Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC.

Both around £100 and noise cancelling/wireless.

Soldato
Had in ears before and they constantly fell out. Incredibly annoying.

Just need to find the right ones :) While not the best sounding, stuff like the Bose Soundsport Wireless have a great fit, and never fall out of my ears when running.

Edit: if you're running, I don't recommend noise cancelling - I find it can throw my balance at times

Soldato
OP
Just need to find the right ones :) While not the best sounding, stuff like the Bose Soundsport Wireless have a great fit, and never fall out of my ears when running.

Edit: if you're running, I don't recommend noise cancelling - I find it can throw my balance at times

Just for weight work these are.

The music in the gym can be very loud at times hence why I was edging more towards the over ears. Definitely have to be wireless though.

Soldato
Over ears are a bit on the large side for the gym. Although some are more compact than others.

Maybe get some in ears with an overhead band? That's what I have for running, but I'm not sure if you can get wireless / noise cancelling ones like that.

Soldato
You're probably going to struggle to find recommendations for wireless over-ear headphones that are £100 or under. Apparently the Lindy BNX-60 are decent for the price. However, they're bulky and might get hot during gym use.

Personally I think earphones are still the way to go. You could always look at in-ears that have a clip to secure them in your ears, or you could get some Comply eartips? I use Sennheiser Momentum earphones with Comply tips in the gym and I've never had them fall out. The foam tips expand and provide a good seal and isolation. You could try the new Jaybird X4, otherwise the Bose Soundsport Wireless someone mentioned above are decent, and if you are into bass heavy stuff then you might want to look at the Beats Powerbeats3, though they're £30 over your budget.

Soldato
For the type of music you listen to, I would, unfortunately, recommend the power beats. Edit: these can be had within budget if you shop around - especially because of the back to school promo Apple have

The Jaybirds are the worst sounding headphones I've ever listened to. Really thin sound, and no bass what so ever. Comfort wise they're okay, but I definitely wouldn't get them over a pair of £25 Anker wireless earphones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
wireless, gym and £100.

best to go with in ears IMO. anything with a band will be terrible for the gym.

go with sennheisers if you can. but £100 won't go far. also you cannot expect bass with all these compromises.

Soldato
OP
Just an update, I went with Powerbeats3.

Sound quality is decent, battery life is impressive, only need charging once a week and they are loud without distortion.

The only issue is the fitment. I've got the smallest buds on them, they fit comfortably down my ear canal but when i'm tensing, it's as if there is a pressure change in the ear canal or something but the fitment changes and I can hear the music in the gym itself then!

Maybe human biology and there is little I can do about it.

The other buds won't fit in my ear canal and the gym music is very loud so not an option moving to other buds really.

Soldato
Yeah that's pretty common, it's your ear canals expanding in size basically, it happens if you open your mouth. I'd look into getting some Comply foam tips, you squish the tips down before fitting them in your ear and then they expand. You'll notice you get a lot better sound isolation as standard and it should at the very least reduce the issue you're having of sound leakage. According to the Comply site there are three types that fit the Powerbeats3:

https://www.complyfoam.com/powerbeats-3/

The only problem is that they're not cheap at about £17 for a pack of 3, plus you'll have to get a variety pack that has three different sizes to work out what size you are, but imo they do make a massive difference to sound isolation and because they often fit a bit deeper than the standard silicone tips they will probably improve the sound quality of your earphones as well. Personally I wouldn't use earphones without them now.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's pretty common, it's your ear canals expanding in size basically, it happens if you open your mouth. I'd look into getting some Comply foam tips, you squish the tips down before fitting them in your ear and then they expand. You'll notice you get a lot better sound isolation as standard and it should at the very least reduce the issue you're having of sound leakage. According to the Comply site there are three types that fit the Powerbeats3:

https://www.complyfoam.com/powerbeats-3/

The only problem is that they're not cheap at about £17 for a pack of 3, plus you'll have to get a variety pack that has three different sizes to work out what size you are, but imo they do make a massive difference to sound isolation and because they often fit a bit deeper than the standard silicone tips they will probably improve the sound quality of your earphones as well. Personally I wouldn't use earphones without them now.

Thanks I'll check them out!

Soldato
I used my Sennheiser Momentums in gym last week (over ear noise cancelling headphones) and they were excellent.

I managed to get them cheap in the summer so maybe keep an eye out for a deal.

Consider sennheiser outlet store.

Back
Top Bottom