Headphones?

Associate
I couldn't find an actual thread on this and thought it would be interesting to see how many OcUKers wear headphones whilst out on the road?

I don't, but I am considering getting a single Bluetooth earphone or maybe give those Aftershockz a try.

Soldato
Most of time yes, when commuting or out on solo rides.

I rarely ride in any built up areas (as I live in a very rural area), if at all I'm just passing through.

I don't see any issue with it, except when riding with others.

Caporegime
Nope, I like to hear what the traffic is doing.

Also it's my escapism, to get away (as much as possible) from electronics etc.

Soldato
I do wear in ear Bluetooth phones but I don't listen to music just audiobooks so I'm always aware of what's around be. They can get a bit sweaty on a long ride but for my hour each way commute they are fine.

Soldato
I’ve got a set of Aftershokz I wear sometimes, they work well albeit it’s never going to be hifi quality. I train outside a lot more these days and they help keep it interesting since there are only so many roads you can make a decent 90-120 minute training loop out of! I don’t feel any less safe using them.

Soldato
Yes, discussed in the road thread every so often.

In ear for me, partly for effects on RPE but also to stop deafening wind noise.

As a result my conscious awareness in increased due to having essentially almost lost one of my senses. If riding on notoriously dangerous, windy or fast roads (A roads temporarily) I'll usually turn it down or off.

Even without anything in your ears you should still be monitoring your surroundings, much like checking mirrors when driving.

Soldato
yeah just have the one headphone in when riding. Picked up a mono headphone off amazon to try out, saves the right ear just dangling around

Soldato
Went out on the CX bike yesterday. 90% off road and I really enjoyed my AC/DC playlist. However as soon as I was back on the road I hit the pause button. Too dangerous to ride on the road with any distraction.

Soldato
I think you have to be a bit silly to wear HP commuting in say a city like London.

I have seen some close calls of people who completely engrossed in their music and paying no attention to environment around, such as a ambulance trying to get through...

Soldato
I think:
a) people overestimate how much they can hear on a bike
b) overestimate how much difference it actually makes

If you're about to be hit from behind, hearing a car coming makes no difference, believe me.

Soldato
It's not about unavoidable situations, but situations where you can actually avoid by using your hearing, and its more than just that being able to hear your environment aids your awareness of what is around you.

Associate
I use aftershockz titanium’s and use them out on my runs. The majority of mine are off road when there is roads involved I can hear the traffic around and if I was really worried I’d just pause the music. I don’t have the tunes too loud I can still hear the birds singing.

Back
Top Bottom