Hearts of Iron 4

ljt

ljt

Soldato
how is this game ? im usally more into real time strategy, with units is combat, is this more turn based with no units in battle ?

It's not turn based, it is real time (which you can speed up/down) It's a grand strategy game rather than RTS though. This is more like a CIV game but heavily focused on political/battle plans/war economy planning etc.

Man of Honour
I'd hold oif 're-learning' until the new DLC drops as the mechanics are all changing. Combat width etc etc.. Fleets can still get caught out, as they could in reality. So even if your carrier is damaged but it has screens to protect the convoy, the AI may deem it safe. Like you say, manually checkinf every so often really helps. But there are warning sirens for extremely damaged ships that occur as popups.

Man of Honour
how is this game ? im usally more into real time strategy, with units is combat, is this more turn based with no units in battle ?

51660606617_acbcf82f3f_z.jpg

Man of Honour
Start slowly. Slowest speed amd pause frequently. Pick a nation that isn't too demanding, but one that offers a learning curve. Italy is good for this reason. Plenty of choice, naval and infantry options to learn. It also offers a focus tree that isn't complicated, and offers some nice buffs.

Soldato
One of the hardest parts that I found was understanding all the focus trees. They can be pretty overwhelming at first. The general structure is this though:

1. Army tree - series of 70 day research slots for army buffs.
2. Navy tree - series of 70 day research slots for navy buffs.
3. Airforce tree - series of 70 day research slots for airfoce buffs.
4. Democratic path - building relations with the allies
5. Fascist path - building relations with Germany, Japan, Italy.
6. Communist path - aligning yourself to the USSR

....generally....

They can be quite hard to pick out and often requires a careful read-through of each nation, and each one is different to the other depending upon historical considerations (i.e. USA isolationist at the start of the war so they are difficult to get into the war from day 1, Germany gaining war goals on countries like Cze or Poland, UK has lots of choices regarding the management of the empire, etc.).

Then there are lots of Balkan and Bosporus states, where frankly, I don't have much of a clue yet! Only dabbled in those, but they are significantly more complicated - stay away for now.

I started with the USA because they are a massive nation, largely protected by oceans with no aggressive neighbours and can allow you the time to understand the mechanics of the game without any undue pressure. You can then pick and choose your moment to get involved in the war and help the allies out (before its too late mind you!!). They also have a big navy and lots of Pacific island jump off points.

Italy isn't too bad either, but they often come under attack from the British and USA (eventually, once they start naval invading France/Med).

Not had chance to jump back onto Communist UK - will try again this week! Its an interesting one though! I always find that when you try and help the USSR out (as any nation) they are just terrible against Germany and nearly always lose - you would have thought the added pain of Germany having to fight another country in the Comintern would have made it easier...but it doesn't!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'd definitely 2nd trying USA first, they are good to learn with and its basically all I've played as and I'm 120 hours in now lol.

They aren't rushed into war too quickly and majority of your territory is one landmass to manage (other than a few Pacific islands)

They also have lots of resources to build stuff with too so you have less to worry about on that side of things too.

However if your not sure if you'll like this type of game, then I suggest watching a playthrough on YouTube first, just to make sure.

Man of Honour
When trying to help out USSR, if I play as democratic UK, I simply ask for access amd send an army and airforce via the nearest point accessible. I then look for the static weakpoints and defend. The biggest issue doing it this way is supply and logistics. So you need to make sure any force you send their way is small enough to not eat supply but large enough to help.

I also quite like playing as commie Mexico, and send volunteers that way.

Soldato
The forthcoming introduction of allied construction (i.e. can construct infrastructure, railways, airbases and radar) will help quite a lot with supply - shame we can't also build ports for that too though. (can only building in members of your factions territory)

There's just so much coming with this next DLC, really excited about it.

Soldato
Well, my latest run as Communist UK is going....weirdly....

I was in a faction with the Soviets and the French Commune fighting Germany when my inevitable civil war happened. Little trick....changed all my divs to cavalry just before the civil war started sent all my equipment to Soviets, war starts, cancel lend lease then change all your divs to a 20 width, rebels keep their as cavalry and you can clean up. Weirdly though, it switched me to the axis....

No idea why that happened, so had to defeat Soveits before I could end my own civil war. Yes thats right, I was a communist nation fighting another!! Thankfully the peace conf gave me all UK territory and crucially the navy!

I'm now almost certain I can do the achievement. Im invading Canada at the moment and it should just be a grind fest. My navy is ruling and I am gonna naval invade around Boston to open a second front. Hopefully in the peace deal I will have enough war score to puppet a very small part of the USA.

Very strange to be a communist nation in the axis, not quite sure how that can happen.

Soldato
Template switch is a complete and utter exploit...shameless frankly :D You get all your equipment back after cancelling the lend lease.

104/132 - Crush the Dream

Also crushed my soul doing it, finished it in 1960....the invasion of USA was a total grind. Wasn't particularly fun, there are probably cleaner ways of doing it too, like invading and completing the war prior to your own civil war, but hey ho.

Back
Top Bottom