Heating your office with your server room?

Transmission breaker
Don
We had a slight issue with the air con in the server room last week, and the temperature in there rose dramatically, and very quickly. Its only a small room in this office, with 2 full racks of servers and networking equipment. However, we only have about 30 staff in total.

This got me thinking, how hard would it be to use the heat from a server room to supplement the heating of an office, rather than just ducting it out to be wasted?

Each server must be producing a fair old whack of heat, and when all together, they make a pretty formidable heat source :p

Permabanned
Malt_Vinegar said:
We had a slight issue with the air con in the server room last week, and the temperature in there rose dramatically, and very quickly. Its only a small room in this office, with 2 full racks of servers and networking equipment. However, we only have about 30 staff in total.

This got me thinking, how hard would it be to use the heat from a server room to supplement the heating of an office, rather than just ducting it out to be wasted?

Each server must be producing a fair old whack of heat, and when all together, they make a pretty formidable heat source :p
thats a good idea but the servers would have to get hot in the first place so u would have to turn the AC off which wouldnt bee good for the servers tbh

Associate
The insulation in our building is so poor that first thing in the morning before the office heating has come on the server room is hotter than the office!!

I should really get some ducting over the partition wall, especially as it was really cold this morning

Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar said:
It's not that hard, in fact it's been done. The McLaren Technology Centre uses waste heat from the F1 windtunnels to heat the building.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
McLaren Technology Centre uses waste heat from the F1 windtunnels to heat the building.
"The fan sucks in air from outside in such volume and at such a rate (15 cubic metres per second) that if the building were sealed, the walls would implode.

Operating at full throttle the wind tunnel generates 1500kw of excess heat and energy, so it requires 6,000 litres of chilled water a minute pumped through a nine-tonne radiator to cool it."

:eek: I want to attach that to my cpu cooler ;) :p

Soldato
lol yeah, I was just kidding :p

I think that if they were sucking air through a tube at that speed, the walls of the room at the 'sucking' end of the tube would probably get sucked into it :) So I guess it's not really imploding, more like just "getting sucked into a fan"... but saying "if the building were sealed, the walls would get sucked into the fan" doesn't sound quite as impressive! :D

then again, I guess that pretty much is what imploding is, regardless of the fact that the fan's causing it... ah, whatever!

Man of Honour
It did say it was sucking in air from outside, which I took to mean not in a building. Though I suppose it could be. :)

PS - This winter I've managed almost to dispense with the heating and just use the PCs in one room. It's not been a cold winter though.

Soldato
Berserker said:
PS - This winter I've managed almost to dispense with the heating and just use the PCs in one room. It's not been a cold winter though.
Sweet :) I suppose computers are like a more fun kind of heating :D When I get my own place, maybe I'll have pentium 4 desktops instead of radiators :p

My room always used to be the hottest in the house, and I only had 1 PC running... but I swear it's cooler in here now I'm using a C2D instead of a penuim 4!

They said "if the building were sealed, the walls would implode" - so they wouldn't be sucking the air from outside if the building were sealed ;)

Soldato
Its not that easy either, most computer rooms are air conditioned and at least 'slightly' sealed, to keep the environment clean. (Im not talking full on clean rooms, but in 5 years, our server room's never seen a vacuum cleaner, and its as clean as a whistle.)

If you started pumping warm air out, then dirty air could enter the environment. You would really need some kind of heat exchanger, which would take the heat out, rather than just simple air ducts.

Associate
It is possible for moving air to cause the building to implode, this is known as the Bernoulli principle . Increasing speed of air flow, decreases the pressure. It's this piece of physics that allows tornados to rip roofs off houses etc.

Demonstrate this for yourself by holding two pieces of paper infront of you and blow between them. You should observe the sheets of paper move towards each other, ie "implode".

:)

Back
Top Bottom