Hello, my name is RTJ, and I was an Apple hater...

Soldato
Hey guys,

just wondering how many people have been in the same boat as me in the past??

Back in the mid 2000's I used to HATE with a passion Apple computers at school, could not stand them, only thing I loved was my 3rd gen iPod..

But fast forward today and I cannot justify Windows over Mac and macOS.

I recently sold my gaming pc and purchased a Mac Mini to get back into the "eco-system" and man..it feels good..

I mean there is so much fluidity compared to W10 I was running, it just..works!

Was there any "Apple-fan-boys" who used to hate Apple in general but now love them? And what Apple products do you own currently??

Soldato
I went back and forth for years at a time.

I had a macbook and iphone for 3-4 years and then started to get frustrated with the inflexibility of the hardware and moved over to custom PCs and android phones for 4-5 years and now im thinking that maintaining all that hardware is too much effort and looking to things that "just work" and am thinking about going back to a macbook and iphone...

Permabanned
I used to have a top gaming PC and a flagship android phone and used to mod and upgrade all the time.

I now have a PS4 Pro for gaming and a 12" MacBook, iPhone 8 Plus, Apple Watch, Ipad Pro 10.5, Apple Pencil and AirPods lol. I love how it all just works together.

Soldato
Yep! Convert here...

As much as I love my powerful windows PC I'm sat here with my mbp docked at a desk. It just works :p

My credit card is about to take an iPhone X just to get me fully into the eco system, the OS just simply works.

Commissario
I was ambiguous. I'd worked on the Apple II many years ago professionally but hadn't been near a Mac and knew nothing about them.

My introduction was when my gaffer at work challenged me to make a *ahem* hackintosh out of a Dell laptop. I succeeded and then did the same with my own PC hardware.

Three months later I sold my Windows PC, bought a Mac Pro and that was it.

So I wasn't a hater, I'd just never used a Mac. I use and support Windows for work but I don't like it and only use it when I absolutely have to - I have a few pieces of amateur radio software which have to run under Windows and so I have a VM for that but that's it.

What Apple kit is there in the house now?

Hmm.

2017 i7 iMac
2011 i5 iMac
2010 Mac Mini
12" 2016 Retina MacBook
13" 2016 Retina MacBook Pro
Time Capsule
Apple TV4
Apple TV3
Seven various assorted iPads
Four iPhones
Some iPods. Don't ask what models or where they are!

My boy has a PC (decent spec) but very rarely uses it, preferring his MBP.

I also have a very good spec 2011 iMac which is for sale in the MM (link in sig). Just sayin' ;)

Man of Honour
I'm one, used to hate Apple kit, now I've got loads. Only Windows machine left in the house is my gaming PC, which I'd swap out in a heartbeat if I could play the same games on a Mac.

Associate
I'm the reverse, I was an Apple fanboy to the max in the PowerPC days, I was doing a lot of 3D modelling etc and the PowerMacs especially were just so much better to use than the workstations/Mandrake of the time.

I'm reliant on the BSD side of things more than the OS itself, but absolutely have lost faith with the new generation of crap Apple sell these days.

I still run macOS, but I feel my time is limited. I have been playing with various *nix builds but haven't made the jump yet.

Associate
Im one too.

I have had a Macbook Pro and 1st gen iPAD before but a gaming PC was always my preference, however priorities change and now I just cant be doing with all the hassle maintaining it, and just would rather use it.
I recently junked my Nexus 6p and got an iphone and whilst it takes some getting used to I am a convert and things just seem to work better, I have taken all my data out of google and now use Apple services, the onus on privacy is nice too.
Gone has he gaming PC and I have a used iMac with high sierra and the integration with it and the phone are brilliant, next will be a Macbook pro purchase for use on the move. For gaming I have a Nintendo Switch.
The other day I bought my mother a used iphone SE so she can facetime me, and the difference over her crummy landfill android 4.0 handset is amazing, she loves siri lol.

Soldato
I ended up getting a 3GS back in the day after telling myself I needed to buy anything BUT an iPhone for ages (despite never having used one for any amount of time). It'd have to be something pretty outstanding for me to give up the iPhone/iPad Pro/Watch/Mac/ATV hardware ecosystem I have now.

Man of Honour
I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I've used Windows and Linux far more than OSX/MaxOS. But I did have a Macbook Pro a few years ago. I really loved it but I needed a Windows machine for gaming so rarely used it. I sold it earlier this year and bought a cheap used Thinkpad T530 15.6" quad core from ebay which was much more useful to me.

However I am now looking to get a lighter laptop and need to decide between another Macbook Pro 13 or a Windows laptop such as the Dell XPS 13, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, etc. I just can't decide whether to step back into OSX. I'm typing this on my wife's iMac and I'm now quite used to OSX. I think the newer Macbook Pro's are great machines and one is high on my list. I really like the simplicity of it. But what's holding me back is the high price and also the fact they don't fold flat 180 degrees which is quite attractive to me and very useful in my T530.

Soldato
I was very much this. Some years ago I was big into PCs and gaming, and took a course at college for design. We used Macs there and I thought they were ok but didn't really want one. This was the original CRT iMacs. Got a job at a local paper doing design, using Macs, still used PCs at home. This was 10.1, maybe 10.2 era? I really didn't want one for home.

Left there, went to work for a bank for a bit. Decided to get back into design work, bought a Mac Mini with Tiger on it, 10.4, and pretty much fell in love and thought it was awesome, I still think that 10.4 was when Mac OS became good enough for your average user to just..do stuff. Whatever you feel like. It didn't feel like weirdo OS any more, you could actually do stuff on it and live your life. I haven't used PCs at home since then.

But I've always been a bit weird with phones, using iPhones for the most part but had loads of failed attempts to switch to Android. Started with a T-Mobile G1 which was absolute pants (Android 1.6!), then a while after that I had a Galaxy S3, didn't have that for long, then I had a Nexus 5X which I took back because the battery was quite bad, then I got a WileyFox Swift 2x which nearly brought me into the fold but the camera was too bad. Now I've got Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X which I honestly really like.

I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13", a specced up one, at the moment, which I love to bits. I toyed with the idea of getting a Chromebook to recoup some money as I don't use this for much, but then I saw sense and realised I've probably got 3-5 more years in this machine. I feel that they cost a lot, but last forever, so as long as you have the money up front they're not actually expensive over their lifetime. I've been using Macs for.... 14 years maybe? Something stupid like that, and I've had... five? But that was including a Mac Mini when I first switched over which I sold on really quick for a white Macbook which is still around somewhere actually but I didn't use for very long. I had a 24" iMac which lasted for years and years and I only got rid of when it actually broke, then I went to a 15" MBP which was great and I only sold it because I wanted a change. I got great money for it. I think they're more of an appliance than most computers. They hold their money very well. The Mini and the MB both got sold on or replaced really quick because they weren't the right Mac for me, so really in about 14 years or so, maybe more, I've had three main Macs.

I think if you splash out and spend good money on a Mac you get five years out of it easy, even if you enjoy technology. My 24" iMac felt quite fast still when it broke after about five years. I only realised it was old when I got my MBP and thought **** me this is fast. Previously, six months on a Windows machine and it would feel noticeably sluggish.

Soldato
I'm one, used to hate Apple kit, now I've got loads. Only Windows machine left in the house is my gaming PC, which I'd swap out in a heartbeat if I could play the same games on a Mac.

This is what it comes down to, id love an all in one system like a Mac but there’s certain games/apps that aren’t supported by macOS or at least not very well.

I’m thinking about a MacBook Pro plugged into a dock and then to my monitor so I can swap between windows and macOS.

Soldato
OP
This is what it comes down to, id love an all in one system like a Mac but there’s certain games/apps that aren’t supported by macOS or at least not very well.

I’m thinking about a MacBook Pro plugged into a dock and then to my monitor so I can swap between windows and macOS.

Yeah, if it was not from bad gaming, the Mac line-up would be epic!!

I seen a new MBP in the shop window today, man they are sooo nice!

Soldato
Yeah, if it was not from bad gaming, the Mac line-up would be epic!!

I seen a new MBP in the shop window today, man they are sooo nice!

The only downside i see is that if i wanted an iMac with the same performance as my windows 7 system, i'd have to spend over £3000, That's not including any accessories.

Associate
Long time windows user here (since 3.11), currently also have a win10 gaming desktop. I've just ordered my first ever Apple computer (a refurb air with i7, 8gb, 250gb SSD). I honestly have no idea how it will pan out, but I work in IT and although I owe Microsoft for my career, I'm sick of the sight of Windows et Al... I'll let you all know how it goes!

Soldato
OP
Good choice with a refurb, my almost 100% certain that you will get a nice machine, apart from the box it comes in, they tend to be almost new, with very little defects cosmetically, and the same warranty as a "new" one.

Im sure you will love it once you find your way around macOS.

Associate
Always flitted between the 2, never had a dislike of Apple but have a history of getting bored of them. Truth be told though I've just come from a Galaxy S7 Edge to an 8 Plus and it completely works for me in terms of what I want out of a phone. Always felt the regular phones never had a big enough screen so the Plus works, could probably have gone with a 7 but I've joined that Apple scheme for handset swaps.

Was looking at the X but I'm not 100% convinced on it, don't like the idea of no Touch ID so going to see if the next generation of X brings a new style.

Back
Top Bottom